File Sharing / Home Network - Sudden Permission Issue

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Dario D., Jul 7, 2007.

1. Dario D.

Dario D. Gawd

Im on my laptop right now, and came to ask a question about an issue that sprung up a few days ago, magically.

I used to be able to access my PC's shared folders without a hitch, but suddenly, it says they are all unavailable. Even if I browse to my PC via Network Places > Entire Network, etc, I can see the shared folder icons, but I can't get into them. It says I don't have permission to open the folders.

Any ideas? I can access the other computers on the network just fine, but not mine. As far as I know, all of the Workgroup settings are correct, and I didn't knowingly change anything that could have obviously affected this.

I even have shortcuts on my desktop to shared files that I work on, but they won't open. Says the drive or network is unavailable.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. RonB

RonB Gawd

Try restore back a couple of days ago then.

3. Dario D.

Dario D. Gawd

Actually, about 3 days ago (after the problem had started), I restored my entire PC back to the way it was about 6 days ago. I was just reversing a spyware infestation though; I wasn't trying to correct the network problem directly. It didn't help, though. I may not be able to restore as far back as I want, unless I use Windows' System Restore, which might mess up several programs I've since installed.

4. xeon711

xeon711 Limp Gawd

5. Jinxplayer

Jinxplayer [H]Lite

Hopefully your IP address on the machine your trying to reach is static?

6. Dario D.

Dario D. Gawd

Windows Firewall is turned off. Is there some way to test if there's another one running? I recently installed CounterSpy as my anti-spyware app.

Should be, but it changes from time to time. Every other week or so, all the computers on the network get their network IP's scrambled up, and I have to re-forward my ports. This week I'm 192.168.1.101... Last week I was 104. Before that, something like 100 or 101. It hasn't ever affected the network, though, because Windows always checks to see what all of the network computers are before connecting to them, I think.

7. Dario D.

Dario D. Gawd

8. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Gawd

download and install rktools from microsoft on the machine you cannot access

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

once installed go to a command prompt and enter the following commands

net user guest /active:yes (then hit enter)

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (hit enter)

ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (hit enter)

Reboot PC and try accessing again.

9. Dario D.

Dario D. Gawd

Thanks a lot for the help. I tried it, and it didn't work, but then the internet connection died later in the day, so I reset the cable modem (not the router), and BAM!... everything worked again.

Very strange.

Thanks again. :)