file sharing between xp and 2000

onearmedscissor

Weaksauce
i have a computer with windows 2000 and one with xp home. i wanted to know how to do file sharing between them. currently they are internet sharing through a linksys router. i tried running the network configuration wizard on xp and when i put the network disc in 2000 or the xp disc, it said i couldn't do it that way for 2000. if anyone can help that would be great. thanks.

For XP, go to a folder and select Tools->Folder Options->View and deselect "Simple file sharing"

At this point XP and 2K will behave the same. Right-click on the folder you want to share, go to Properties followed by the Sharing tab, enable the share, and set permissions as needed (for a standard internal LAN, giving Everyone read-only is probably fine, but only give write permissions to specific accounts)

it's at the very bottom of the scrolled window (shoulda mentioned that, it's easy to miss)

Darkstar850 said:
In a sort of side-topic note:

God how I hate the simple file sharing crap.
Yep. I think most of the "Help me share files" threads here trace their origin directly to that single checkbox.

are you talking about the list with the boxes and one of them is about hidden files? nothing about simple file sharing is listed there.

now the 2000 computer can see and use the xp computer's shared folders, but the xp computer can't even get into the workgroup folder anymore. when i click on network places and go to workgroup, it just gives me an error.

Back