file server

Budget? Capacity goal?

Coolermaster Stacker has 11 5.25" bays, and comes with (IIRC, or at least they're available) a module thingy to put 4 drives in 3 bays.

I use a Lian-Li PC-70.

It has a 6-drive tray down at the bottom, plus 6 5.25's, plus 3 3.5 external.

I have 6 Seagate 300GB 7200.8's in the tray and the two 80mm fans keep the drives cool. It's been running with these drives, and previous drives, for 4 or 5 years 24/7 with no failures.

-Larry

nicks0r said:
i've been thinking of a setup for a file server

so far i have come up with getting a full tower and putting most of the HD's in the 5.25 slots mounted with fan inserts that hold HD's

i am planning on using a normal mobo with ata expansion PCI cards to support more HD's

just looking for some input and possible alternatives before i go ahead with it, also an recommendations for cases to hold a bunch of HD's would help

Better to go with a PCI SATA controller. No need for an expensive PCI raid-5 controller. Just something that will attach 4 or 8 drives, install linux on the box and use software raid. If its a file server for storing music, and you wont be doing extreme amounts of writes, software raid would work fine, and also, if some component fails, can move the drives to another computer with linux, and still read the raid.

For my next G5 mod I'll be doing a fileserver. I should be able to fit about 14hdds.
Custom built is the best way to maximize drive capacity.

I'll be using angle aluminum for my drive rails.

Back