File server backup hints needed (non-WHS)

Yonzie

Limp Gawd
So, my file server dropped a drive this morning (PSU plug died, bizarre), reminding me that I really need to get cracking on a backup strategy.
Currently I have a 3TB Linux software RAID.
Due to the amount of data and my laziness re: changing tapes and whatnot, it will obviously need to be backed up to a second file server. While I'm at it, I guess it could also take care of the desktop and laptop (Macs) and the server I have colocated (Linux). This is starting to sound kind of mission-critical ;) (though not enough to warrant expensive licenses or off-site stuff)

I'm looking at a bunch (4+) of WD RE4-GP drives and the Intel SRCSATAWB RAID controller. Does anyone have experience with this controller? (or similar stuff from Intel) This should be able to saturate Gig-E, right? (Using RAID 5. Not a requirement, It'd just be nice and I'm wary due to (old, granted) IDE RAID controllers not-so-great performance ;) )

I currently imagine continuing my relationship with Debian, maybe adding LVM to the mix. I have found rsnapshot which would make it easy to snapshot the file server onto the backup server. Have anyone tried this?
Ideally, I'd like something similar to a snapshot-style backup.

However, I'm also wondering if i should take a serious look at Solaris. ZFS seems pretty interesting.

What do you guys do in regards to backing up those massive 10+ TB systems?

Last edited:
Back