File error when moving files

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a problem trying to move my divx files from any machine to another. I get file in use by another person or program error even though they are NOT being used. If i rename from avi to mpg extension problem goes away. I tried associating with 511 DIVX player, that didn't work. All my service packs and critical updates are up to date. Microsoft knowlege base doesnt seem to have answer. Files are shared etc...

I've found that using the DOS prompt stops these errors from happening.

move <orignal path> <new path>

prime said:
I've found that using the DOS prompt stops these errors from happening.

move <orignal path> <new path>

That'll do it.
It also works if you do it in Safe Mode.

There's a cool little program called WhoLockMe that will tell you exactly which program has it's hooks into the file you're trying to delete featured in the Freeware thread. Maybe that will shed some light on the issue.

Its a windows bug:

Explorer has a feature where it scans any AVI files found in the current directory for metadata, such as height, width and length. Windows will attempt to scan the entire file by loading it into memory. You'll know this happens when you browse to a local directory and suddenly your machine grinds to a halt and starts swapping to disk like crazy (even with gobs of RAM). Luckily it's an easy fix. In the registry, navigate to the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

And delete the default value (which is one of those ungodly CLSID hex numbers).

Hope that helps

OldMX

Back