File and Printer Shareing

Hawg-dawg

n00b
File and printer shareing worked but now it dosn't. I'll post what I had and what I have now . Any of you network Gurus help is appreciated.

What I had................
A cable modem from Road Runner with 2 dynamic IPs. I pay 10 bucks extra for second IP to host a game server on UBI that can't be behind a router. Then to a swich(no router) witch pings #1 or #2 putter appropriatly with its IP. #1on xp pro an #2 on xp home. I set up (dont realy remember how LOL) a small home network to share files and a printer. It worked great. So under My Network Places on both boxes it shows a shared doc file from each putter. I could transfer files back and forth. The printer pluged into box #1 worked from box #2 as well...........

My wife desides she has to have Final Fantasy 11 online so I buy a Belkin wireless g router and a Belkin wireless ethernet bridge.

What I have now...........
Same, but out of switch slot #2 I have the Belkinf5d7230-1 wireless router and then hard wired to putter #2. The wireless link goes to the Play Station in the other room . Putter #1 and #2 are in same room side by side by the way. So box #1 is on switch slot 1 and box #2 is on the router which is conected to switch slot 2 .

Internet connects and Plastation work . Printer and file shareing between putter #1 and #2 do not. I get a messege that says Not accessible/might not have permission ...sytem admin ...and on printer spooler service isnt running. Network path not found.

Belkin says not there prob call MS...........:(

Tnz.......plz help

I can tell you it's not the belken, but that windows is messed up networking. I am not sure how to fix it, but do look at the software and not the belken equment....

Lokking at the Belkin Fire wall log it Blocked something 9 times ..... Might of be me . With firewall off it still dose not share files or printer

Im no guru but I can guess 2 things: 1. Although XP home is network capable its not fully network capable like XP Pro- this might cause some sort of conflict somehow (Just a guess) #2 Make sure both users of both computers have FULL ACCESS in all the file sharing or make sure the inaccessible files (are you having problems with BOTH sharing printers and sharing files?) have an owner and try and delegate password so that when you access the folder it asks for that. When you set up your network did you run the "network setup wizard' ? You wireless G may have a little more securit then you anticipated, I take it youre running DHCP?

thanks for reply........
It worked before I added the router..........
Error message states network path not found.

The reason is now your computers are on two different networks (one from your ISP, the other from the router) what you need to do is find the name of the computer that is hooked up straight to the internet and the domain it is on, then map a network drive to it. ipconfig /all will give you the domain
on the PC behind the router, search for the computer using the name and domain (ie pc2.myisp.com)
it should show up, then you can pick a folder to map (right clikc on it and say "Map Network Drive).

That should do it.

Thanks StarTrek 4U for reply. Thats a little beond me ..........were do I "search"
The folders that I use to have show up when I try and map network drive,but it trys to conect abd cant find. Im not much on networking. I was supprised I got it to work before I hade the router.LOL

Windows and the Belkin routers s firewalls are down. I even tryed DMZ with no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

To search, right click on "My Network Places" and select search for computers.
to get your IP info, goto start -> run -> type: cmd and hit enter, at the command prompt, type ipconfig /all
you'll need your computers name (ie PC2)
and your ISP's domain (ie charter.net)
so then when you search you would search for pc2.charter.net
you should find your other computer, then can map the folders you want as drives (right click, select map network drive)

Back