File and internet sharing using ad-hoc, help!

ebilcake

Limp Gawd
Ok, pretty straight forward or so I thought, trying to link two systems using ad-hoc and vista, each with wifi adaptors.

Seemed to work at first, folders and interent shared, everything working then I try and link them up again and nothing, no internet or file sharing. I tried recreating the ad-hoc connection from scratch and still nothing, internet connection is selected to be shared and folders but i'm getting nothing, just local only but not even finding anything shared on the network.

Can someone please help?

Can you ping each of the computers via IP address and computer name from each other?

What is the status of the wireless NIC within Network Connections on both PCs?

Am I correct in saying that only one PC has access to the internet or another network and the other does not?

Can you ping each of the computers via IP address and computer name from each other?

What is the status of the wireless NIC within Network Connections on both PCs?

Am I correct in saying that only one PC has access to the internet or another network and the other does not?

I'm not sure how to go about pinging the other system over a wireless connection, status, both are connected but the host it local only and the other system has limited connect, SSID's match and both are at 54Mbps.

Yes, only one system has access to the internet.

Well, pinging over wireless is the same as wired.

Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' --> issue the 'ping' command followed by IP or computer name.

To find out the IP of each system (if the wireless cards even pick one up) you use 'ipconfig' from the command prompt.

Who manufactures these cards? I'm guessing you're using windows to controll them, try using the manufacturers software and make sure both cards are set to Ad-Hoc and hardset IP addresses, subnet mask & default gateway. I'm sure the default gateway of the PC with no internet should be the wireless card of the other machine, then that wireless cards gateway should be your router or wired NIC.

Someone else give some insight?

Back