• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fibre Channel SAN with Windows Storage Server

StangMan04

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
234
I have a storage array that is running Windows Storage Server 2008. I currently use iSCSI targets attached to my media server. I was wondering if there was any way to use Fibre Channel targets in Windows Storage Server 2008? We have installed a HBA adapter and zoned the media server to the storage server.
 
I have a storage array that is running Windows Storage Server 2008. I currently use iSCSI targets attached to my media server. I was wondering if there was any way to use Fibre Channel targets in Windows Storage Server 2008? We have installed a HBA adapter and zoned the media server to the storage server.

Are you looking to boot from the target, or just have one or more LUNs available?
 
I just want to present the LUNs to my media server.

Are you running FC over ethernet, or are you just wanting to offer a iscsi target with FC attached devices connected locally to your server? If it is the former, MS support is less than stellar http://blog.fosketts.net/2010/04/15/microsoft-windows-server-fcoe-support/ and most of the FCoE SAN hardware/software combos are third party and proprietary. There are a number of *nic open source FCoE target and initiator projects though, http://scst.sourceforge.net http://www.open-fcoe.org/open-fcoe http://stgt.sourceforge.net/
 
Last edited:
Are you running FC over ethernet, or are you just wanting to offer a iscsi target with FC attached devices connected locally to your server? If it is the former, MS support is less than stellar http://blog.fosketts.net/2010/04/15/microsoft-windows-server-fcoe-support/ and most of the FCoE SAN hardware/software combos are third party and proprietary. There are a number of *nic open source FCoE target and initiator projects though, http://scst.sourceforge.net http://www.open-fcoe.org/open-fcoe http://stgt.sourceforge.net/

I was trying to avoid ethernet all together. Not sure if I am making any sense though. I am new to this.

This is what I am trying to do.

http://www.networksteve.com/forum/topic.php/Fiber_channel_target_with_Storage_Server/?TopicId=17024&Posts=0
 
You'll need 3rd party (non-MS) software to do it, like SANMelody.

Or you switch server OS completely to something like Solaris or Linux which have these capabilities available or built-in.
 
For cheap emulex cards you can use solaris or Openfiler

If you have logic cards, you can try open-e server

For windows to be a fc target, you have to either have lots o dollars, or find windows storage server and then some extra add on's I believe .... But I never actually got windows working as a fc target.

.
 
For cheap emulex cards you can use solaris or Openfiler

If you have logic cards, you can try open-e server

For windows to be a fc target, you have to either have lots o dollars, or find windows storage server and then some extra add on's I believe .... But I never actually got windows working as a fc target.

.

Yea it is Windows Storage Server 2008. Just couldn't get Storage Manager for SANS to work properly.
 
I think I am going to skip over it since I cannot get it to work and install the backup software locally so the disk storage and backup software will be all in one box. Any benefits to RAID 6 or RAID 5 for backup storage?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top