Fibre Channel SAN card for Leopard

Oh4Sh0

2[H]4U
I'm starting to plan out our upgrade to leopard at work and already ran into an issue. Most of our current Fibre channel san cards are Atto FC3300's. Atto says they don't support leopard, and I cannot get the card to talk with our SAN while running the OS. So I'm looking for a couple of replacement cards. Primarily, I was looking at QLogic's QLA2460. However, reviews for SAN cards are pretty hard to come by, so I'm looking for anyone who'se used similar cards for in a leopard server and comments/thoughts about them.

Thanks

QLogic QLA2460 HBA's are all I buy for my stuff (30+ SAN-attached servers). If a vendor doesn't support that card, find a new vendor. It's probably the most common one being sold right now. Emulex and QLogic kinda go back n forth but anyway that's a good FC HBA.

That would be a rare combination. I can tell you that with our Windows and Linux servers, the QLE2460s and 2462 are very good cards.

Having supported EMC SANs, I can tell you the following: you really need to work with your SAN vendor on this. SAN vendors typically qualify certain HBAs drivers/frimware to work on/with their equipment. That is why when you go to the Emulex website, the first thing you are asked is what kind of SAN you are using. Although all the major SAN vedors use that same physical Emulex and QLogic cards, they all have custom BIOSes, firmware, and drivers for their specific SANs.

If this is company data your dealing with, you really shouldn't be doing this half-baked and getting answers here. Get your vendor involved. If they don't support what you want out-of-the-box, a good SAN vendor will qualify your hardware for you (for a significant fee). But at least management should be comfortable that their data isn't going to go poof.

^^ Yup. Your SAN vendor is the first place to ask. They should have a complete compatability matrix, showing their approved HBA's and respective drivers for each operating system. As long as you purchase what's on that list, they have to support your purchase.

Back