Fiber termination 101?

infamus

Gawd
Does anyone know a good place to start when a person wants to learn more about fiber termination, besides a book?

classes, tutorials that kinda thing

from what i know, it requires thousands of dollars in equipment. Im just curious as to why your curious?

at my work the local cable/CLEC has a fiber run to us (a tv station). they took hours during the initial install to terminate six fibers. we use three (for tv signals), and the rest of the 48 are going to waste methinks ;)

One place that I know of is FIS - Fiber Instrument Sales, we buy a LOT of stuff from them but they also offer training: http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/fiber-optic-training/fiber-optic-training.asp

We just got a new fiber splice, core alignment, ribbon fiber splicer, it will splice 12 fibers at one time. The thing is FAST! A good fiber splice technician can usually splice fibers pretty quickly. It takes our fiber guy longer to get the stupid gel from the gel-filled cable cleaned off than it does to splice the fiber.

Not too terribly difficult with proper training. I reserve the fiber cabling/terminating for a professional. They have the skill and the expensive tool to test the cable end-to-end after it is terminated.

from my experience in the industry, one of the biggest things is that there are so many types of connectors and termination styles. For example: crimp, hot melt, polished, etc. It seems that every manufacturer does things differently.

Back