Fiber Optic Zip-Riser?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm doing some fiber cable ordering and it mentions a 2mm Zip Riser (On a MM LC-LC 62.5/125 patch cable). What the heck is that?

MM= MultiMode
LC/LC means that it has an LC connector on both ends of the cable.

62.5 micron in diameter

Multi mode fiber is good for under shorter distances (under 1600 feet).

You start to use single mode fiber for long cable runs (1 - 7 miles)

Hey thanks for the reply! However what is the 2mm Zip Riser? I can't find out what that is anywhere :(

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I had to order fiber, however, I believe that the zip-riser is two fold, zip fiber is two fibers with each fiber in it's own buffer tube, one you would use for send and the other receive(usually), riser just means that the cable is riser rated.

Again, I may be wrong but I think that sounds correct.

I am pretty sure that Zip fiber is just for fiber patch cords. It looks like speaker wire or lamp cord and is 2 fibers.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

I am pretty sure that Zip fiber is just for fiber patch cords. It looks like speaker wire or lamp cord and is 2 fibers.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

I was thinkin a riser cable would be for connecting floors, may be wrong though

That may be true, but most times it could just mean that it's not plenum rated but can be used anywhere. Normally runs between floors would be a larger count cable, and in innerduct.

The "Riser" notation should mean that the cable is riser rated to pass between floors. Regular zip cord isn't rated for that and needs to remain on floor.

I'd double check that the Zip Cord you're looking at is in fact riser rated AND can actually handle being pulled between floors. Most zip cord won't cut it when being pulled between floors the jacket isn't strong enough.

Ah, so when it mentions 2mm Zip Riser then it's just mentioning the strength of the cable. These are just going between racks so we don't need to worry about it being pulled. ;-) Thanks!

Back