fiber optic lighting

Parish_Rane

Limp Gawd
I'm been googling and not quite sure where to find the answer. Can I run fiber optic threads through etched channels in my plexiglass side window for lighting?

I will admit my ignorance and if that accomplishes the same thing that answers my question. I was primarily wondering why I never saw fiber cable used for that. Edge lighting would achieve the same effect?

physioworks20edge20lit.jpg

Is this what you're trying to do?

Fiber optic lighting wouldn't work for what you want...if im understanding what you want. Light in fiber strands only shines out the tips (brightly) the cable itself doesn't glow much because its meant to carry the light to the end, not bleed it all off.

you need to have grooves routed in UV acrylic then light the ends of the acrylic with some type of black light

That picture is exactly the effect I am shooting for. Wasn't sure how easily it would be accomplished. Thank you all VERY much for the quick and thorough responses. One of the reasons the [H] community is so great.

There were a ton of mouse pads made like that, search for that, they had tons of how to guides.

Fiber cable is coated so all light 'flows' and there is no leakage, otherwise you would have data loss.

Just nitpicking...but fiber optic cables arent coated to contain the light. When light passes a surface where two mediums meet (glass and air in this case) there is always an angle of refraction. In the case of fiber optic cables, the angle of refraction is greater than 90 degrees so the light is totally refracted back into the fiber cable. Same concept as why a straw looks distorted or broken in a glass of water.

After hearing this input I think it might be easier to have my gamertag etched into the sidewindow and glow without having any perceivable light source. This would require buying a new side panel though. The side lighting should work great. I think the bendable LED strips are going to be too thick for what I want.

Originally I was going to light up the grid on the side of my HAF 932:

HAF932-2.jpg

Not sure if that is doable with this method?

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting to do, but they make UV reactive window appliques and paint. If you put one of the appliques on or stencil on your design, a uv light would make it glow. Small cold cathodes work well placed right above the window. I did this with one of my cases and it turned out pretty well.

heh, when i read the description, i thought of those 80's fiber optic plant looking things that changed colors lol

Back