Fiber Optic Internet

JarJarBinks

Limp Gawd
I just got new internet and I literally live in the middle of nowhere and I can't believe my luck.

To be fair my internet company happens to have a server on speedtest.net very close to me
and that is what i used for the test, but I get pretty close on many of the big city speedtests.
I get within a 100mbps on the upload and 300mbps on the download on the other sites.

They are letting me try this for free for 30 days....now all I have to do is figure out how to cancel my comcast service.

FKQKiUz.png

Sorry, I had to tell someone, I am so excited.
I was downloading a game off steam earlier at 42MB/s earlier.
My latency in gaming is down 20-30ms or more over cable to the big city game servers.

Wow 1ms ping. Is that server in the same building? I get 3ms of latency just pinging the first hop outside my gateway on FIOS.

Middle of nowhere is a town of like 20,000 people in New Mexico.

The telecom company I get my internet from is less than a mile away, that is probably why the 1ms.

Later I will post one from a server farther away. But not many of the servers handle gigabit well.

Middle of nowhere is a town of like 20,000 people in New Mexico.

The telecom company I get my internet from is less than a mile away, that is probably why the 1ms.

Later I will post one from a server farther away. But not many of the servers handle gigabit well.

The second largest "city" in my state has a population of 32,000. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

...Unless I can convince Oxford Networks to run an additional 1.3 miles of fiber. I have 10gbps capable fiber run to one of my towers, 1.3 miles away from me. I literally AM an ISP and i'm still stuck paying Time Warner for internet.

That's awesome JarJarBinks, I'm very happy for you and totally jealous. Hmmm, I really do like New Mexico. :D I live in a city of almost a million people and we get 50/5 max.

I love how people call 20,000 people the "middle of nowhere" . I live in a town of 2,000 with nothing within a 30 mile radius. That, sir, is the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I'm jelly of your connection. I'm stuck with AT&T 6 megabit DSL for the foreseeable future.

Wow that's awesome!

I got FTTH last year, it was awesome, still is. I get 50/30 though, not gig. gig would be pretty sweet especially if they allowed to host services or provided option to have more than one IP. Too bad most ISPs don't allow this though.

Is that photoshop trolling;)
Seriously if its not too expensive grab it and never let go of it .Symetric down and up @100.
i pay a small fortune @25 symetric. Yet one question remains ....whats ur daily/monthly DL/UL
limitations?

No data caps, and I asked about running servers and the lady told me that
they don't have any rules about it. I did forget to ask how many IP address
I am allotted, I will have to check on that.

Last edited:
3769027862.png

3769054144.png

Here is a speed test from something farther away, keep in mind I changed
my settings from megabit to megabyte. I don't think many of the servers
on speedtest.net handle gigabit testing well. If anyone knows where I should
really go and test, let me know. The second post is from where my local
isp. I posted them from their site this time so you could see no photoshopping.

Last edited:
I love how people call 20,000 people the "middle of nowhere" . I live in a town of 2,000 with nothing within a 30 mile radius. That, sir, is the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I'm jelly of your connection. I'm stuck with AT&T 6 megabit DSL for the foreseeable future.

Damn. I consider anything over 500 a "reasonable size". Then again there's maybe 3 dozen places in Saskatchewan that are over 1000 in population.

Even in towns of 200 we have 5/10mb DSL.

Middle-of-nowhere here would be a farm 20 miles from the nearest town of 200. AKA my In-Laws Farm :p

Damn. I consider anything over 500 a "reasonable size". Then again there's maybe 3 dozen places in Saskatchewan that are over 1000 in population.

Even in towns of 200 we have 5/10mb DSL.

Middle-of-nowhere here would be a farm 20 miles from the nearest town of 200. AKA my In-Laws Farm :p

Doesn't Saskatchewan have its own ISP? I seem to recall something called "SaskTel", but that might have just been Saskatoon.

Doesn't Saskatchewan have its own ISP? I seem to recall something called "SaskTel", but that might have just been Saskatoon.

Yeah it's SaskTel. FTTH is a city of 16,000 is pretty sweet.

They were one of the first telecoms in the world to deploy fiber. We've had fibre to the cabinet DSL for years. They have always been fed by fibre. Copper only from the houses to the DSLAMs. They are switching that to fiber now as well.

Great ISP.

I call PS (photoshop) image because I am on yucca telecom webpage and fastest fiber package is 20x2 for 80 bucks for residential. Speedtest.net you can photoshop there images very easy so how about you post an speedtest from: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ , http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ , http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest to be sure.

Tim, They are linked directly from the www.speedtest.net website. Right click and say "Copy Link". They are real.

EDIT: Well, The last two are. The first one is IMGUR but I still trust the OP.

Last edited:
My closest towns have 1100, 800, 400, 300 and 75 people. From there they start to go back up again. Most of them can get at least 12/1.5 dsl and some can get 105/10 cable. The town of 800 has gepon fttp where they can get 300/50.

Back