• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FFXIV beta (game) performance

Caligulax

Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
526
I'm running a gtx 480 and setting buffer size to my resolution halves FPS, forget about enabling ambient oc, or depth of field. AFAIK this game is DX9 only, I have heard that ever since the testing went from alpha to beta ati cards have been outperforming nvidia by a large margin. anyone else testing this game? I haven't even got outta the bar yet, just trying to maximize performance/IQ
 
I'm running a gtx 480 and setting buffer size to my resolution halves FPS, forget about enabling ambient oc, or depth of field. AFAIK this game is DX9 only, I have heard that ever since the testing went from alpha to beta ati cards have been outperforming nvidia by a large margin. anyone else testing this game? I haven't even got outta the bar yet, just trying to maximize performance/IQ

Honestly from the various articles on it this doesn't surprise me. At default settings without AA, AO, DoF, etc an Ati 5870 typically smokes an GTX480 more so if its not a TWIMTBP title.

What resolution? Maybe its a problem that will be resolved on release.
 
Resolution is 1920x1080, I will have a go with everest and my g15 to see gpu and cpu usage in this beta. SLI is enabled now, so when my second card gets here I'll see. Damn I judged my purchase of a gtx 480 on how well SLI scales, IMHO I dont think ati comes close.. was I wrong? sigh! I could have saved TONS.
 
Resolution is 1920x1080, I will have a go with everest and my g15 to see gpu and cpu usage in this beta. SLI is enabled now, so when my second card gets here I'll see. Damn I judged my purchase of a gtx 480 on how well SLI scales, IMHO I dont think ati comes close.. was I wrong? sigh! I could have saved TONS.

SLI is a different story. Crossfire is broken at the moment so two GTX480s in SLI would be a great deal better than two HD5870s.
 
man doesn't run that smooth on my 8800GT I want to play at 1080 but can't :/
 
I do play FFXIV since the first alpha test and now the current beta. My system is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and a GTX470, both at stock settings, nothing overclocked. Performance is a joke and the graphics don't convince me at all. I play at 1920x1200 with everything at max and 4x AA, Buffer is set to Resolution at the moment. With this settings the game is at the FPS limit of being playable, Ambient Occlusion or Deph of Field are impossible to use unless i turn AA completely off. I think Square Enix lacks experience on the PC as platform and their engine is not optimized for PC hardware at all or just bad in general. I mean i play a ton of games that look much better than XIV and they run with double the FPS. I hope either SE or Nvidia will do something.

edit: benchmark at high was 3400ish. If you wish to compare scores look at BG forums:
http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94743
 
Wish I could trust someone to bench it w/ a 5870

What kind of framerates are you getting?

Got a fraps log?

I'm running at 1920x1080 w/ the buffer size set at "Resolution", 4x MSAA, highest settings on the drop downs and AO and DoF disabled and I get around 30-45 fps in town on average.. seen drops down to a bit above 20 fps as I load into a new area..

In the field, I get 50-60 fps away from crowds of other people.. and around 35-40 fps in camp areas with lots of other people.

Here's a fraps log entry -

2010-08-15 00:31:35 - ffxivgame
Frames: 12140 - Time: 259297ms - Avg: 46.819 - Min: 24 - Max: 61

I ran from the edge of the zone out of town all the way back to the tavern where you start after the opening cutscenes.. making a detour through the cooking guild on the way since it is a crowded area..

Screenshots of my settings -

settings1.jpg


settings2i.jpg
 
Last edited:
if buffer size is what i think it is, then yes, setting it to your full resolution probably does damage performance by a huge margin.

nvidia slides for their ssao technique has numbers for full resolution vs half: 143 fps vs 30. visual difference should probably be not hugely obvious.
 
if buffer size is what i think it is, then yes, setting it to your full resolution probably does damage performance by a huge margin.

nvidia slides for their ssao technique has numbers for full resolution vs half: 143 fps vs 30. visual difference should probably be not hugely obvious.

Buffer size as it was explained to me is the resolution at which the 3D assets are rendered..

you get sort of a pseudo AA effect if you set Buffer size to be higher than your resolution.. as the world objects are rendered at that resolution and scaled down to your screen resolution.

If I double my buffer size, my framerate drops considerably.. from around 100 fps to 40 fps.. though it is less performance hit than enabling Ambient Occlusion on my 5870..

Things run pretty nicely if I keep Buffer set to resolution, cut AO off and enable 4x MSAA at 1920x1080.
 
Wow thanks for the screen, doesn't look like a 5870 does all that much better than my 480. Will have to play more to find out.
 
Well something is terribly wrong. Using my g15 and everest in the beta, my gpu utilization is a constant 99% Cpu util fluctuates, but the max I have seen is 21%. I really hope the retail release doesn't push my card like the beta.
 
Well something is terribly wrong. Using my g15 and everest in the beta, my gpu utilization is a constant 99% Cpu util fluctuates, but the max I have seen is 21%. I really hope the retail release doesn't push my card like the beta.

Which nvidia driver are you using? Apparently Starcraft II had a similar problem with a particular nvidia driver..

I'll check my gpu usage later when I play.. but I don't think it goes up to 99%

I hope they do some additional optimization.. it just doesn't seem like AO should kill performance on high end cards like ours as much as it does..

Best example I have of the performance difference was when they had removed the framerate cap.. (before the most recent patch)..

I was getting 106 fps out in the field without any other players around.. then I exited the game, enabled AO and went back into the game.. in the same spot, my fps dropped to 26!

visually not worth the price, imho..
 
Have tried latest WHQL on nvidia's site. As well as 259.32 developer drivers. Was getting 50 FPS in the bar (the area after the docks) up from like 30 with the dev drivers at 2xMSAA Everything on High, Buffer = Res, AO DoF off. Will bump MSAA to 4x and see how the performance is. I just reinstalled the game to my corsair force SSD, maybe I'll get some better load times, if it's not server dependant.
You should see some of the posts on the beta forum. Yeah get a 700watt psu for a 460, or the game is CPU limited get a new cpu. SIGH. There is no way a dx9 game can be THAT demanding.
 
Turn off AA.

I have the same issue with SLI GTX 480's. The driver or game is just bugged at this time. There are currently no workarounds. My frame rate is decent, but the mouse lag is intolerable. Changing my resolution from 3x1680x1050 with BC to 1x1680x1050 barely makes a difference in the frame rate. And my GPU's are getting very hot, like FurMark's extreme burning mode hot. Whatever the glitch is, it's pushing my cards much harder than Metro 2033 in 2D or 3D.

Wish I could trust someone to bench it w/ a 5870

Ain't that the truth.
 
Do not worry about framerate and performance comparisons right now in FFXIV for a couple reasons:

1) SLI is NOT enabled in the benchmark. The low is a test of CPU and the high test is a measure of SINGLE gpu.

2) Beta version performance has gone back and forth between Nvidia and ATI for different beta releases because they have been adding and optimizing different effects as they go (hence beta). In the last beta people with 480GTX SLI saw a 20fps drop in many instances.

3) the devs hav said that many of the features and effects have not even added yet.

4) Yes, FFXIV is only optimized for DX9 so far, but they did just demo it in #D surround and have hinted that it will support multimonitor. Who knows for sure though?

This game is Nvidia sponsored and is expected to be the largest Worldwide MMO. I doubt Nvidia is going to miss a chance to capitolize on this market.


Disclaimer: I am neither confirming or denying I have beta access.
 
Also, im pretty sure the game is looking for serious cpu performance. I doubled my benchmark scores by overclocking my cpu 40%, granted im on a 9600gt currently, but it seems a lot of people are running this on phenoms etc with newer video cards and getting crap performance. In fact, im able to beat a gtx 480 running on an old phenom with my setup - something to think about.
 
I am not even going by the benchmark but the actual game. I dont take that bencmark seriously
 
i got in to some test of this game, i don't remember if it was technically an alpha or beta but the performance was terrible. I was hoping that it was mostly the alphaness of it but if not, look out.
 
Back
Top