FFIII edition DS Lite

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Heya,

Sorry if this is a repost, but in the latest edition of EGM they had a little blurb about an FFIII edition DS Lite coming out in Japan. Now, I have sort of been thinking about getting a DS Lite anyway just for this game (I would end up getting others too, but the FFIII remake looks stellar) and being able to pick up the FFIII special edition would make it a done deal.

Problem is, it is a Japan release only. Will Japanese version DS Lites play US games as well, do they have an English language menu option?

I realize I will probably have to e-bay one and pay over the price of a normal DS Lite, but depending on the price this would be worth it.

All DS's are region-free, you would be fine w/ a japanese lite. They have english language settings too.

Slartibartfast said:
All DS's are region-free, you would be fine w/ a japanese lite. They have english language settings too.

That is good to know for games, but what about going into the menu system to set up Wi-Fi and etc, I don't read japanese, so I would only be able to work it if there was an option to change the set up menus to English.

NulloModo said:
That is good to know for games, but what about going into the menu system to set up Wi-Fi and etc, I don't read japanese, so I would only be able to work it if there was an option to change the set up menus to English.
Yes, there is.

I don't think Slartibartfast was trying to say Japanese DS games had options for English, since most don't (but there are some exceptions).

B. W. said:
Yes, there is.

I don't think Slartibartfast was trying to say Japanese DS games had options for English, since most don't (but there are some exceptions).

Well, I know there will be a US release of FFIII, and I am not that interested in most Japanese only games (well, that is a lie, some look really fun, but again, not being able to read the text would pretty much make me unable to play any of the ones I am interested in) I just want to make sure if I buy a Japanese unit it will work just the same as a US unit once I change some settings to make menus in English and all. Thanks for the info.

NulloModo said:
Well, I know there will be a US release of FFIII, and I am not that interested in most Japanese only games (well, that is a lie, some look really fun, but again, not being able to read the text would pretty much make me unable to play any of the ones I am interested in) I just want to make sure if I buy a Japanese unit it will work just the same as a US unit once I change some settings to make menus in English and all. Thanks for the info.

Yep. All versions are the same. When you first start it up, it asks what language and keeps that setting throughout the DS system including all menus and options. All the wifi settings are configured within the wifi enabled game, but copied to the DS BIOS for use with other games. So if you got a japanese game, and went to set up the wifi, I believe the text may be in japanese. I've never tried. You could just get a US wifi enabled game, set up the wifi, and it would be stored on the DS for future game support.

Nintendo handhelds don't have any region stuff. My Japanese GBA (Black + Orange FTW!) handles everything fine.

Noobkiller said:
From the trailers I saw, the game cinamatics are the best I've seen for the DS

probably cause they weren't in game cinematics

there's only supposed to be a very few cutscenes in the whole game... keep in mind they have an extremely limited space

Whoa. Nice gameplay link.
Definitely a game that I'll be looking forward to.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the numbers of FFIII limited edition DSL's they're releasing in Japan?

UnlimitedMP said:
Whoa. Nice gameplay link.
Definitely a game that I'll be looking forward to.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the numbers of FFIII limited edition DSL's they're releasing in Japan?

No official announcement, but rumor has it only 10,000 units. Knowing how much the Japanese love this type of thing, I don't expect it to be cheap on e-bay.

When i picked up a DS Lite last month, i had no idea that there was a FF3 coming out for it. But the more and more i hear about it, i am absolutely stoked for this game. FF3 was so much fun on the SNES.

4saken said:
When i picked up a DS Lite last month, i had no idea that there was a FF3 coming out for it. But the more and more i hear about it, i am absolutely stoked for this game. FF3 was so much fun on the SNES.

If you think this is Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in US), You are gonna be in for a surprise.

LeviathanZERO said:
If you think this is Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in US), You are gonna be in for a surprise.

Ah i see. Then thats even more exciting :D

Back