• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ffdshow the only thing i need?

FraGGleR

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
384
ok, so my new thing is stripping my windows installations of everything that I don't need. I did that to an old laptop and it runs like its 2002! in an effort to get max image quality with the least amount of loaded codecs and hardware, can i rely on just ffdshow? i have always had the purevideo codec, but I have never used the hardware based stuff. do i even need purevideo or can one of the ffdshow codecs work? am i completely missing the boat? does anyone think that using purevideo hardware will be better than just the codec plus ffdshow? I am reencoding just about everything I have to xvid right now to simplify things. I will keep handful of dvd's untouched on the harddrives, but that is about it. No immediate plans to play with hddvd or bluray in the immediate future. Thanks!
 
I was in much the same boat when I was starting my HTPC set up. I found that using PureVideo with FFDSHOW caused some degredation and problems making my movies look worse. Granted I only spent about an hour so far just tweeking the set up. But After removing FFDSHOW from the filter list the movies play so much better and upconvert cleaner.

I am using the latest Zoom Player to play all video files, and playing with the settings for FFDSHOW with non DVD media it helps a little bit. But so far I cannot make my DVD movies get any better with software tweeks than just PureVideo and Zoom Player.
 
I've become a big fan of the Combined Community Codec Pack... (CCCP)

It contains FFDshow, as well as a splitter and some other peices.
Even if you don't need all the peices, at least you know that they work well together.

Last week I was having some filter issues with my main PC... So, I painstakingly uninstalled EVERY codec, filter and spliter from my system (including Gknot), and then installed the most recent CCCP. Everythings been flawless since then.
 
I have been using the cccp codec pack, mainly to handle the various encoding and subtitle formats of anime that I watch. Since I have been reencoding everything to xvid, I don't need most of the stuff that came with cccp. A lot of purists claim that only having what you need on your computer is better, especially with codecs since they can fight for priority, etc. I am not knowledgeable, skilled, or patient enough right now to tweak competently. I guess I will have to go through some scenarios to see what gives me the best image. Thanks.
 
Back
Top