Few questions

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
I read through the FAQ on the forum but i'm still unclear on a few things.

1) I'm currently folding on a spare AMD 3500+ . I wanted to add a spare 8600GTS i have laying around, will the folding client run on the 8600?

2) In regards to dual vs quad core

Dual core: you run two clients, one on each core.

Quad core: you can run the SMP client

I am trying to build a strat for folding on three computers and need an understanding on these things.

Also, i downloaded the client on that on pc, but when i click the icon and choose display it bombs our with an error for me. Is this normal?

I read through the FAQ on the forum but i'm still unclear on a few things.

1) I'm currently folding on a spare AMD 3500+ . I wanted to add a spare 8600GTS i have laying around, will the folding client run on the 8600?

2) In regards to dual vs quad core

Dual core: you run two clients, one on each core.

Quad core: you can run the SMP client

I am trying to build a strat for folding on three computers and need an understanding on these things.

Also, i downloaded the client on that on pc, but when i click the icon and choose display it bombs our with an error for me. Is this normal?

The client display for the tray versions has generally been pretty buggy. A lot of us just leave it minimized or go with the console version.

Dual vs. Quad, duals can run SMP too, just not as high PPD (points per day). However, the PPD will still be higher than two standard clients.

8600 can fold using using the GPU2 client, although certainly not with the speed of the big boys.

I think that was all the questions :D

The client display for the tray versions has generally been pretty buggy. A lot of us just leave it minimized or go with the console version.

Dual vs. Quad, duals can run SMP too, just not as high PPD (points per day). However, the PPD will still be higher than two standard clients.

8600 can fold using using the GPU2 client, although certainly not with the speed of the big boys.

I think that was all the questions :D

Sweet, thank you. I'm trying to get in as much as i can right now without dumping money into it.

My main rig has core 2 and a 9800 so i am thinking about using that GPO to, but it will pause when i use the PC.

I created the forum tag from the hardfolding stats site. Do you have to link that in each post, or is there a nifty setting i'm missing to get my forum badge on posts.

You dont really need to pause the SMP clients if u put them on your main rig. They run at an idle priority so anything u do on the computer will run before FAH does. If you are into gaming you will probably have to stop the GPU client to play the games as somtimes they dont play well together.

Sweet, thank you. I'm trying to get in as much as i can right now without dumping money into it.

My main rig has core 2 and a 9800 so i am thinking about using that GPO to, but it will pause when i use the PC.

I created the forum tag from the hardfolding stats site. Do you have to link that in each post, or is there a nifty setting i'm missing to get my forum badge on posts.

You have to include it in each post. There's a nifty howto right here. Or you can just do what I do, and keep a second window open to the page with your badges and just drag & drop it in.

2.png

Just keep in mind that on a dual core, you'll want to run 1 GPU2 and 1 standard client.

As for the badge, i just have a Javascript button linked in my favorites toolbar. Click and post.

Just keep in mind that on a dual core, you'll want to run 1 GPU2 and 1 standard client.

As for the badge, i just have a Javascript button linked in my favorites toolbar. Click and post.

Why run the standard client on a dual core, whats the reason for this?

If i am correct the SMP client will hog the cpu cycles from the GPU client. Since the GPU outperforms the cpu with regards to PPD it makes more sense to scale back the cpu to let the gpu go full tilt. Correct me if im wrong anyone.

If i am correct the SMP client will hog the cpu cycles from the GPU client. Since the GPU outperforms the cpu with regards to PPD it makes more sense to scale back the cpu to let the gpu go full tilt. Correct me if im wrong anyone.

^This

The GPU will take generall 15-40% of a core's clock cycles, varying on the actual processor, so if you run SMP, the GPU will generally be starved of data. The GPU can outperform the SMP client by a few thousand PPD in most cases, so the best combo is the GPU2 + Standard.

That being said, standard doesn't give much in PPD (I only see generally 200-500 PPD on a 3.1 Q6600 for a standard), but it is still filling up science that needs to be done.

That, and if you have a dual core that's already uncomfortably close when it comes to deadlines, that little bit that the GPU uses will push you over the edge on certain units.

Back