Few questions about Westy 37" and 42"

Ecca

n00b
I was wondering why alot of people get the 37" when it is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 42". I also would like to know what kind of graphics card setup I need to get around 70fps on the highest res (1080). Would I benefit a considerable amout if I went SLI?

If someone could help me out I really appreciate it.

I was thinking the same thing. While personally I'm looking at the 42, I don't plan on having it seated at my desk. I think a 42 incher is too big to have seated on your desk for use as a computer monitor, so perhaps that's why the 37 is the (slightly) more reasonable choice. Also, you didnt mention what game you want those frame rates in. Yes, SLI will help, but it sounds from your post that you're treating this differently from any other computer monitor. You're going to be running around the same res as I think the "average" computer gamer is running right now. To get an idea of the frame rates just check a more game-specific resource to see what hardware and framerates people are getting on their standard pc w/ monitor hardware.

chomsky said:
I was thinking the same thing. While personally I'm looking at the 42, I don't plan on having it seated at my desk. I think a 42 incher is too big to have seated on your desk for use as a computer monitor, so perhaps that's why the 37 is the (slightly) more reasonable choice. Also, you didnt mention what game you want those frame rates in. Yes, SLI will help, but it sounds from your post that you're treating this differently from any other computer monitor. You're going to be running around the same res as I think the "average" computer gamer is running right now. To get an idea of the frame rates just check a more game-specific resource to see what hardware and framerates people are getting on their standard pc w/ monitor hardware.
I've determined that a g80 will be best for me. If there is no problem other than size I will be getting the 42".

Now all I need to confirm is that this lcd will hook up to one card.

Just FYI you need a dual link DVI cable and the monitor will report correctly. I got my 42" on friday and hadn't noticed till I tried to hook it up that my dell 2407 came with a single link cable and didn't work with the westy. I'm using a 1950xtx crossfire setup and I'm getting excellent performance with this screen.

37" is better for pixel pitch at only 0.4mm where as a standard 19" is only 0.12mm less
not sure what the 42"s pixel pitch is but the extra 5" will make a difference it think if used for a PC monitor.

Back