few question i have about windows 7, just installed.

mhd

Weaksauce
I took the big leap from Xp to windows 7, still getting used to the whole interface. very unitive, well put together. However, Few things are bothering me. can any help me out this
Screen Resolution- I have mine set to 1680X1050, desktop wallpaper is 1680x.. but looks huge though more of 800x600. icon present on desktop are large as well. i think videos n pic are also affected by this. can any1 help me out here?

Volume Mixer - how does this work ? For each applications volume can be set but when raisin for one, the main speaker works along with that one. how can these be fixed? also on another note, i have 5.1 speaker n i cannot seem to get that working with this. in one of the option i checked box 5.1 sound but still no sound?

right click start button, click properties, taskbar tab.. click use small icons

right click desktop, view.. small icons

Don't do what doox00 said. Most likely, you have a high DPI mode enabled. Press the windows key, type dpi, then click "Make text and other items larger or smaller." Check that it's on 100%, and not some other value.

As for the volume slider: if you try to raise any application above main volume, it will raise main volume as well. That is working as expected. For the 5.1 speaker setup, right click the speaker in systray, click "playback devices", then double click on your "Speakers" device. Make sure your surround sound is connected appropriately.

Don't do what doox00 said. Most likely, you have a high DPI mode enabled. Press the windows key, type dpi, then click "Make text and other items larger or smaller." Check that it's on 100%, and not some other value.

As for the volume slider: if you try to raise any application above main volume, it will raise main volume as well. That is working as expected. For the 5.1 speaker setup, right click the speaker in systray, click "playback devices", then double click on your "Speakers" device. Make sure your surround sound is connected appropriately.

by default desktop icons and taskbar icons are huge.. doing what I said will make them "normal" size... my dpi was set to 100 percent by default.

ctrl + mhweel up or down too on the desktop to change icon size

The OP said nothing about the taskbar, which is what d00x's advice affects. Leave the taskbar at its normal size and there are easier ways to deal with the desktop icons.

i have set the DPI to 100%, wish i could have lowered more. able to set it to smaller icons and taskbar menu. however, desktop wallpaper still kinda looks out of proportion for 1680x1650. too up close. my video card is NIVIDA Geforce 7200/7300 if that might help.
For the 5.1 speaker setup, right click the speaker in systray, click "playback devices", then double click on your "Speakers" device. Make sure your surround sound is connected appropriately.
Under Audio Control Panel, there are tabs for speakers, Eax effect, Cmss3d ...etc, on the speaker configuration when i apply 5.1 from 2.1 doesn't take any affect from it. i have soundblaster live 24bit, saw some related problem but dont know if it exactly the case. A similar case http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic135299.html. Also is there any way i could download creative surround mixer. i am use to it.

Last edited:
Back