Few Q's about Game Servers...

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I have a lan setup one computer is connected wired and the other two are wireless but get the same speed

3.3 Mbs / 256Kbps

I want to setup a cs game server so my friends and I can play but when I run one, it gives me the routers ip that it assigned on the lan, how do I find out the ip so they can connect to it and that I can too?

That site will only give you your WAN IP address, not your LAN IP address. I'm assuming your using some kind of hardware wireless router that masks your real ip for security.

To determine your LAN ip you can drop to the command prompt ( Start, Run, "cmd" ) and type ipconfig.

Be aware that this IP can change if you have DHCP enabled on your router.

Yeah, its a wireless router but whats the ip so they can connect to it too... (There not on my network. ) Those just give me IP'S that don't work....

they use your WAN IP, you need to setup port fowarding on the router, since all your game trafic will be on a certain port, foward that to the IP of your server.

then when your friend connects to your WAN IP in the game, its redirected to your game server.

How do I do that?

If you could be so kind lol?

thanks where getting farther.

oh and btw, with a 256k upload... i wouldn't even bother.. more then 3-4 ppl and that server will choke the line..

alright, all you have to do to run a cs server is ....

1) find your computers ip adddress by going into command prompt and typing ipconfig as mentioned above.

2) now go into your routers configuration from your web browser (internet explorer / firefox or whatever)

3) set the DMZ to the servers ip address that you got in step 1

4) hit apply

5) goto www.whatismyip.org and copy your ip address.

6) start up the server

7) tell your friends the ip address you got in step 5, and the port you are running the server over

8) play till your hearts content and have fun with the lag ;)

Be aware that by following the steps that the previous poster mentioned you are basically exposing yourself to the internet which is an invitation for all kinds of security threats.

I would take yourself out of the DMZ when you are done playing, or figure out how to foward traffic on only the nescessary ports to your server.

Back