Few minor questions

pArTy

Limp Gawd
I just got a wireless router and have 3 computers hooked up to it. The router is hooked up to my DSL box. I was wondering if there was anyway to share any files I choose to share. Like I wanna share a hard drive in one my computers but not have any other hard drives be accessable on the same computer. Another computer in the house has a printer that I would beable like to print out papers from any computer. I tryed using windows network setup but it will only share my documents. Also is there any programs to make this easyer? I looked in FAQ and couldt find any answers to my questions. Thanks.

This is possible, here are some tutorials that should help...
If you have any other questions, just post them and I'll be sure to give you specific instructions.

I'd recommend this site first
http://www.homenethelp.com/
The direct link to the part of this site that you need is:
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp

If that doesn't help...
How to share files and set permissions in Win XP:
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp

How to share a printer over a home network:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

How to use Windows XP Simple File Sharing:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

Best O Luck!

Thanks. I got it all set up and I can few files from other computers. I have one last problem. I have steam as a shared folder and when i try to run it on the computer with it(havent tryed any other computers) it gives me a error saying "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to write to the current Steam application folder. Please move Steam to a folder where you have write privileges.". I'm admin of the computer and I have the shared folder set to allow modifing of files where steam.exe is located.

Have you tried modifying the security settings for the folder? Have you made sure that they're not inherited?

J'Tok said:
Have you tried modifying the security settings for the folder? Have you made sure that they're not inherited?
Inherited? I set the security settings for the folder so it could be modifyed by anyone. Before I set it up for file sharing I could run programs on it fine. But now I cant run certain programs. If you mean inherited as in sub folders being networked, it doesnt look like it. The sub folders arent set to share. I can browse through them and run certain programs on other computers in the network. It only seems to be programs that need to write to a file when they start that dont work. I checked the privilages and I couldt find anything on writing to hard drive that I didn't have privliages to already. Thanks for replying.

pArTy said:
Anyone have a clue to what my problem could be? Thanks.

Are you trying to run Half Life 2 or something from another computer, off of this computer? If so, that's not going to work. You can share "files" and non-used stuff like that, but it's not good practice to try to share anything in the "Program Files" directory, entire "C" partition, or "Windows" directory..those are important system files with different permission that shouldn't be messed with.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Are you trying to run Half Life 2 or something from another computer, off of this computer? If so, that's not going to work. You can share "files" and non-used stuff like that, but it's not good practice to try to share anything in the "Program Files" directory, entire "C" partition, or "Windows" directory..those are important system files with different permission that shouldn't be messed with.
Yes and no. Right now I'm trying to get steam to run off of the computer its on. The computer its on has 2 hard drives and I put all my games on the 2nd hard drive in a folder called games. This is a home network and I have it setup so no one else but my family can access the network.

Did you "move", or "relocate" the game directory? Or install it to the current directory that it's in?

Did you "share" out this directory? Probably in doing so, messed up the permissions on this directory..one of the reason most people should stay out of sharing in %system% and "Program Files" directories. They often forget about permissions regarding the "system" account.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Did you "move", or "relocate" the game directory? Or install it to the current directory that it's in?

Did you "share" out this directory? Probably in doing so, messed up the permissions on this directory..one of the reason most people should stay out of sharing in %system% and "Program Files" directories. They often forget about permissions regarding the "system" account.
I installed it in the current directory. The steam folder is a sub folder of the directory that is set to share. So your saying no mater what I cant share directory with programs that wont run in shared directorys? :(

Blah. I tryed to make it so the folders werent set to share and i'm having the same problem still. I cant edit any files that were in the folders that were set to share. Is there any possible way to fix this at all?

Love these bugs. Anyway I figured out how to fix the files so I can access them and edit them. The fix was to copy files some where else than copy them back!

Back