Fermi to be the hottest single chip ever

Fair enough. I've got a corsair in my system and have never had a problem with it. I think I'm only pulling 350W full load. You have an OC on the 920 or is it stock?

920 @ 3.2. Just want it to be a 975 (or is it a 965?), with some stuff disabled, that's all.

The thing to talk about, would be PCIe 3.0, instead of 2.0. It's kinda like Sata 6gb versus 3gb, and USB 3.0 versus 2.0 Not much hardware taking advantage of 6gb Sata, except for a Seagate 2TB drive. But that's where the future is going to be. PCIe 3.0 is supposed to come out in Q2 of 2010. At least we know the PCIe slots will stay around for a while. I built a big AGP based system 5 years ago, and then everything switched to PCIe. I was so pissed, a faster card never came out that I could upgrade too.

I would be far more concerned about noise than heat. once i made a near silent power rig, it's hard to go back.

I would be far more concerned about noise than heat. once i made a near silent power rig, it's hard to go back.

And I would be far more concerned about noise, heat, idle power consumption, and load power consumption. :)

Guess I can't be happy, since I'm concerned with everything! Performance is like a good resume. It gets you (your card) in the door. Without adequate performance, I won't even consider the card. The rest (see concerns above) is what determines whether $200-400 remains in my pocket, or whether or not it gets taken by a retailer.

all things from video cards, to tanks, to cars, are a result of design compromises where the raising one attritbute neccassary lowers another.

In this case, i can accept for heat that comes as a result of the advanced perfomance a result of the larger size.

There has been a lot of complaining about heat lately and I just don't understand it. There are lots of cards out there if you want to make a HTPC or a laptop. But for an SLI setup? I mean we are way beyond the linear price/preformance portion of the curve. At 190 vs 240 (guessing?) you've got only a 100W difference between two cards. Even at 190 to 300W you are looking at 220 Watt difference, Quality 750-850W to Quality 1KW PSU would be under 100$. And if femri is in the 30% faster range, it is over a 50% faster system.

Show me a 500W Video card that is 5 times as fast, used 6 times the power, costs 6 times as much as the competitor's 100W video card and I'll show you the card enthusaists are going to buy. I'd venture while it's a good "look at me stat" most people interested in enthusiast class systems are much more interested in more fps. Really there is nothing efficent about SLI or crossfire systems. People do it because they want more graphics power.

However, if you really want to look at power because some people really are concerned about that, then lets have a good long look at it. And this is something you might seriously think about adding into your review(s). Joules per frame. (or frames per joule of course). If Femri takes 240Watts and delivers 60 FPS while an ATI is delivering 45FPS at 190W then the femri is actually more energy efficent!

I don't have a magic ball, nor am I under an NDA (I wish, but if I was I'd be forced to review it instead of play with it although some say that is one and the same:p), so I don't know who wins in that department. But I do know that it is how we should be comparing energy numbers.

I never understood why fanboys (on both dies when it behooves them) beat the heat drum left, right, and center like it's the end all, be all, for a card.

It's almost nothing. Your rants mean almost nothing. Furthermore, no one has given me a satisfactory answer, or pointed out what Im missing. If someone does, then my hat's off to them.

Anyway, to keep it short, Heat is the last thing noobs give a fuck about. I'd wager a good 90% of the people who don't frequent forums likes these simply run out, look for the card that says it's the fastest on it, verify it by the "benches' on the box, and buy the card. If they get home and their PSU can't handle it, they go right back to the the store and buy a bigger PUS.

The only group of people who even know what these numbers mean, and what kind of bearing they could have on a system are people like us. And in today's market, that isn't many.

It's funny to what the same exact arguments roll out here over and over again.

Shall I take us down the rabbit hole?

-nVidia people, some time ago: "buawahahahaha, that 4870x2 is gonna need a nuc plant to power it lol, ATi is finished!!!111!!!!!1eleventy!

-What actually happened: the 4870x2 was a hot, but great card.

-ATi people, now: "buawahahahahahahah, that Fergi/Germi/Fermi/GF100380GTX PWNZ edition is going to need to be powered from hovering alien ships! nVidia is finished!!!!!shift1!!!11!"

-What will, most likely happened: the GF100 will be a hot, but great card.

sheesh people....:rolleyes:

For me, heat translates into very large air conditioning expenses in summer, which have a yearly cost. It also translates into me being uncomfortable, and my room being hotter than everyone else's by many degrees, which leads to some annoyance and difficulty.

As such, I've decided to limit the number of devices that are left on (my computer is always off unless I am using it, or just AFK for a short time).

Anyway, to keep it short, Heat is the last thing noobs give a fuck about. I'd wager a good 90% of the people who don't frequent forums likes these simply run out, look for the card that says it's the fastest on it, verify it by the "benches' on the box, and buy the card. If they get home and their PSU can't handle it, they go right back to the the store and buy a bigger PUS.

The only group of people who even know what these numbers mean, and what kind of bearing they could have on a system are people like us. And in today's market, that isn't many.

Stikes me as logical, in this day and age, 90% of the people looking to buy an aftermarket card are going to get on the internet and do some research, which will, sooner than later, lead them to the major review sites and Newegg.

Also strikes me as logical anyone knowing enough to be looking for an aftermarket card will understand newer generation = better than older generation, heat = bad/cool = good and noisy = bad/quiet = good.

An hour of googling can pack a powerful information punch, even for 'noobies'.

The thing to talk about, would be PCIe 3.0, instead of 2.0. It's kinda like Sata 6gb versus 3gb, and USB 3.0 versus 2.0 Not much hardware taking advantage of 6gb Sata, except for a Seagate 2TB drive. But that's where the future is going to be. PCIe 3.0 is supposed to come out in Q2 of 2010. At least we know the PCIe slots will stay around for a while. I built a big AGP based system 5 years ago, and then everything switched to PCIe. I was so pissed, a faster card never came out that I could upgrade too.

The final specs for PCIe 3.0 are going to be released in 2Q 2010. It will be quite a while after that before boards with PCIe 3.0 are released. It will also be backward compatible.

Last edited:
I never understood why fanboys (on both dies when it behooves them) beat the heat drum left, right, and center like it's the end all, be all, for a card.

It's almost nothing. Your rants mean almost nothing. Furthermore, no one has given me a satisfactory answer, or pointed out what Im missing. If someone does, then my hat's off to them.

It's funny to what the same exact arguments roll out here over and over again.

Shall I take us down the rabbit hole?

-nVidia people, some time ago: "buawahahahaha, that 4870x2 is gonna need a nuc plant to power it lol, ATi is finished!!!111!!!!!1eleventy!

-What actually happened: the 4870x2 was a hot, but great card.

-ATi people, now: "buawahahahahahahah, that Fergi/Germi/Fermi/GF100380GTX PWNZ edition is going to need to be powered from hovering alien ships! nVidia is finished!!!!!shift1!!!11!"

-What will, most likely happened: the GF100 will be a hot, but great card.

sheesh people....:rolleyes:

I used to have the G80 8800GTS 320MB and that card ran so hot. It would idle at 80C and get over 100C while under load. Although it never crashed due to the heat it raised the temperature of everything in my case such as CPU, HDD, and case temperatures. I will never buy a card that runs this hot again.

Stikes me as logical, in this day and age, 90% of the people looking to buy an aftermarket card are going to get the flyer from the B&M store and do some 'browsing', which will, sooner than later, lead them to a sale that looks like its a good deal because of large writing of the price and the words FAST CARD written in large red letters.

Also strikes me as logical anyone knowing enough to be looking for an aftermarket card will understand the salesman will tell me if I am not buying a good card. He'll know that better than older generation, heat = bad/cool = good and noisy = bad/quiet = good and won't point me to the card that gives him the most commision or the card from the company who he is a fanboy of.

An hour of time in a retail store can pack a powerful wallet punch, even for 'noobies', but have you winded up with the best deal there was to have gotten? Probably not but that consumer has saved themselves an hours time or the time it takes to call a friend whose more knowledgeable and ask what's best.

Edited for truth hehe. Changes are in bold. If everyone researched cards, they probably look at the price to performance ratios as to get the most power/performance for the dollars they have to spend. In that case, the majority of the marketshare would belong to: ________? and the majority actually belongs to: _______? QED: Most people don't research, buy based of salesmen recommendation or buy based of brand names and not factual basis.

I think what this all comes down to is:

15-20% performance increase for $150 more? Maybe.
...and probably increased power draw and heat? Eh...

Who knows for sure, but it better be one hell of a performer to get people who have been flocking to the 5000 series to begin considering a change.

I think what this all comes down to is:

15-20% performance increase for $150 more? Maybe.
...and probably increased power draw and heat? Eh...

Who knows for sure, but it better be one hell of a performer to get people who have been flocking to the 5000 series to begin considering a change.

In games maybe. But folding wise I bet Fermi is just going to dominate everything.

It should. A 285 gets twice the PPD a 4890 or 5870 avg.

Stikes me as logical, in this day and age, 90% of the people looking to buy an aftermarket card are going to get on the internet and do some research, which will, sooner than later, lead them to the major review sites and Newegg.

Also strikes me as logical anyone knowing enough to be looking for an aftermarket card will understand newer generation = better than older generation, heat = bad/cool = good and noisy = bad/quiet = good.

An hour of googling can pack a powerful information punch, even for 'noobies'.

WBURCHNALL quoted you, made some changes, and nailed it.

Believe me, as much as I'd like to eat crow and say you're right, the word, "logic" and trying to apply it to most Americans today isn't very accurate.

Look at the 4870x2. Heat, heat, heat, but it was a badass card so people paid $500+ for it for a long time.

I guess it all just boils down to different strokes for different folks. :)

What really matters is if they can keep idle power consumption under control.
When I'm playing i won't care about 50w less as long as the card is adequatly cooled and doesn't sound like starting jumbo jet.

But then again I was happy user of 2900pro 256bit which means I'm a bit biased here :D

Who cares, the 5970 is a 296W card with a cooler designed to cope with 400W and with both cores clocked to 5870 speeds the cooler handles that with ease and isn't very loud, for an enthusiast card anyway.

In games maybe. But folding wise I bet Fermi is just going to dominate everything.

Indeed, people are still snapping up 9800GX2s even though these cards run quite hot. I got one folding away at the moment and it does ~10k points/day (5k/core) versus the GTX275 at ~8k points/day with similar power usage.

The GTX295 is quite popular for folding as well, even if it's also kind of a power hog :)

The high-end Fermi cards will do more than fine for this reason alone.

Edited for truth hehe. Changes are in bold. If everyone researched cards, they probably look at the price to performance ratios as to get the most power/performance for the dollars they have to spend. In that case, the majority of the marketshare would belong to: ________? and the majority actually belongs to: _______? QED: Most people don't research, buy based of salesmen recommendation or buy based of brand names and not factual basis.

You changed this whole paragraph and didn't highlight it:

"An hour of time in a retail store can pack a powerful wallet punch, even for 'noobies', but have you winded up with the best deal there was to have gotten? Probably not but that consumer has saved themselves an hours time or the time it takes to call a friend whose more knowledgeable and ask what's best."

'have you winded up with' ?

WBURCHNALL quoted you, made some changes, and nailed it.

Believe me, as much as I'd like to eat crow and say you're right, the word, "logic" and trying to apply it to most Americans today isn't very accurate.

Look at the 4870x2. Heat, heat, heat, but it was a badass card so people paid $500+ for it for a long time.

I guess it all just boils down to different strokes for different folks. :)

Change happens. Every day more people acquire broadband and every day more people turn to google etal. to research tech purchases. Information/knowledge acquisition demographics today are vastly expanded and changed from 5 years ago.

Back