• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fermi Release Date Retail Availability

Headfoot

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
69
Hi y'all,
I'm not trying to start and speculatory trainwreck but I've got a question.

In the past on release day for new video cards, about what time of the day do the cards appear for sale? I'm asking this because I'm doing a build for someone and we are going to decide between the 5870 or the GTX 470 on release day based on the expected performance.

In any case we plan to buy it ASAP before it goes above MSRP. Any clue what time of day that would be?

PS: I'm not looking for advice whether I should buy the 5870 or GTX 470. The decision will be based on release day info. Unless of course you have some release day info right now...:D
 
without any [H]ard benchmarks i just sit and wait. if nothing happens by the end of march, go with the 5870, clearly nvidia doesnt want your money.
 
I should be a little more specific. I know the release date is not set in stone yet. They claim March 26th but who really knows.

My question is during other launches (G80, Radeon 5xxx) at what time in the day did those cards appear on etailers sites? Basically I want to wake up early enough so I can get to my friends house, and either buy the card before it sells out or decide it costs too much. I just dont want to get stuck for another month waiting for the second wave of cards to hit the stores.

I'm not buying a 5850 or 5870 until Fermi comes out even if it sucks just because AMD will undoubtedly drop the price (even if not by much), and my friend is running a tight budget where every extra dollar helps.
 
5870 was a hard launch (you could buy it that week). Fermi will likely be a soft launch, so nobody has any idea when they will be available.

Seriously, I don't understand the lovefest some people have for Nvidia cards. Buy whatever is best right now, instead of wasting a month you could have spent enjoying your new system :D
 
if you are going to wait for 4 or 5 weeks for the possible release of a card, does the time of day it will be released really make that much difference? i mean if its released at 12, you will buy it, but if its released at 3:30 or something you wont?
 
Forget it man. As it's been said in every subforum there's no such thing as future proofing and it's pretty obvious the 470's gonna have performance comparable to the 5850 or 5870 so just get one of those.
 
I would go for the 5870 for sure. Chances are the Nvidia cards will be impossible to find anyways.
 
its tough to say what time, usually there is a date/time set for when they are actually for sale but it seems that usually is just the opening of business for that day.

for etailers maybe there is a time but if march 26th is indeed the release date then i'd expect a place like newegg to list it at around noon EST (8am PST, since they are in california)
 
Forget it man. As it's been said in every subforum there's no such thing as future proofing and it's pretty obvious the 470's gonna have performance comparable to the 5850 or 5870 so just get one of those.

maybe not even that good. i think the 480's maybe only be a few % faster than the 5870 (not even counting the 5970) :(. i wish it was faster though so ati will drop their price :p
 
I really can't see Nvidia releasing a card that's only equal to the 5870, after all the trouble they've had getting it out. There's no way they could sell that competitively.
 
maybe not even that good. i think the 480's maybe only be a few % faster than the 5870 (not even counting the 5970) :(. i wish it was faster though so ati will drop their price :p

Yeah couldn't remember which was which but yeah there's not any kinda exponential performance increase coming 470/480 I wouldn't bother waiting. If you had an 8800GT and were waiting for GTX285 to come out instead of a 4870/90 that'd be one thing, but 470/480 just isnt worth waiting for as a gamer. If he can sit on his butt not playing games for 3 months+ then screw it just wait til next year when the better cards come out.
 
I really can't see Nvidia releasing a card that's only equal to the 5870, after all the trouble they've had getting it out. There's no way they could sell that competitively.

The numbers leaked so far seem to indicate this is a belated release last year it was supposed to blow our minds. They can't really just sit and continue leaving the door open while the design team start working on the next core. Don't get me wrong it sucks, but it happens from time to time with every manufacturer.
 
The question should really be, "Can I buy a GTX 470 at launch."
I wouldn't wait for something that is first come first serve and is inferior to the 5870.
The GTX 470 will compete with the 5850.
Get the 5870 now and make a decision if Fermi turns out to be anything.
 
March 26th. It call comes down to if its a hard launch with retail availaiblity of a paper launch. Ideally, if I were the OP, I'd sit up late on March 25th, wait as the time ticks from March 25th to 26th at 9:00PM PST or 12:00am EST and start rapidily refreshing searches on newegg, ncix or whatever other site you prefer has it listed. For best results, refresh multiple pages.

If it is, you should buy it THAT NIGHT as some rumors put supplies of GTX 480s as low as 5,000-10,000 units which should sell out almost instantly as I have this odd feeling there are more than 5,000-10,000 nvidia fanatics within the gaming population.

There's a good chance just like on last Monday's announcement that your going to be disappointed one way or another. Disappointment is likely.
 
PS: I'm not looking for advice whether I should buy the 5870 or GTX 470. The decision will be based on release day info. Unless of course you have some release day info right now...:D

Launching March 26th. 470 should be a good deal faster than a 5870. 480 will be on par with a 5970.
 
Where is all this information on performance of GTX470 vs. Radeon 8xxx series? I am not seeing it. Till Kyle/Brent post real benchmarks with it, its up in the air. The End.
 
Nvidia indicated that one could buy a GTX 470/480 on day of Launch (March 26th) if you attended the Launch party at PaxEast in Boston

What about the people who can't attend? I wouldn't count a Launch Party in Boston as retail availability.
 
I would be really surprised to see that Nvidia did not have "some" 470/480's at launch. While the 5870 was a hard launch, it had the 40mm problems from TMSC. I would think that Nvidia would have those problems solved. As we are now seeing 5870's in stock all over the place.

As far as performance, I will withhold judgement until I see some [H] numbers...
 
if you are going to wait for 4 or 5 weeks for the possible release of a card, does the time of day it will be released really make that much difference? i mean if its released at 12, you will buy it, but if its released at 3:30 or something you wont?

This may be the stupidest, most pointless, ridiculous post I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

I want to buy it at MSRP before it sells out and I have to wait another month.

I said that in the OP

EDIT: Theres no way anyone with a brain could say that so you must be trolling me. I dont want to feed the trolls. My apologies
 
Last edited:
for etailers maybe there is a time but if march 26th is indeed the release date then i'd expect a place like newegg to list it at around noon EST (8am PST, since they are in california)

Thank you very much this is what I was asking.

@The Cobra: Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Anyone suggesting I buy now -
Please read my second post again. I am under no circumstances buying any card until I see what happens with Fermi. I've seen too many launches to buy a computer part ~1 month before another one is going to come out. Which brand doesnt matter. The point is im not going to buy a $400 dollar 5870 and watch it drop to $300 in a month
 
Last edited:
Well, I think it's a good idea to wait until the 5870 drops to $300 by your speculation.
It seems your looking for the latest GPU rather than the most for your money.
 
Nvidia indicated that one could buy a GTX 470/480 on day of Launch (March 26th) if you attended the Launch party at PaxEast in Boston
More specifically, they said that attendants may be able to buy GTX 480 before everyone else.
  1. If you are not at PAX East, you are "everyone else".
  2. The fact that they emphasized the "before everyone else" part makes me think that there is significant wait for "everyone else".
 
It seems your looking for the latest GPU rather than the most for your money.

I'd say somewhere in between. I want to make sure that Fermi is not either better or cheaper before I make a decision. Because if it's better, 5870 prices will go down. Which will be a good bang for the buck then. But if its cheaper, well, then its cheaper! And if its not better or cheaper, I wont buy it. We may end up getting a 5870, im just going to wait until I know all the details on Fermi first.
 
More specifically, they said that attendants may be able to buy GTX 480 before everyone else.
  1. If you are not at PAX East, you are "everyone else".
  2. The fact that they emphasized the "before everyone else" part makes me think that there is significant wait for "everyone else".

Well, at the least, "everyone else" has to wait for shipping
- so don't read too much into what they said

i expect the tech sites to be getting their copies shortly, leaked benchmarks pretty soon and a launch that will not be able to meet demand (depending on the benches, of course).

Of course, if $700 is to be believed for the GTX 480, performance must be there to take on 5970's refresh. So who knows?
;)
 
Hope you don't end up with one needing a RMA like people did with the 5000 series at release. You'll either get your money back or be waiting awhile on the replacement.
 
I should be a little more specific. I know the release date is not set in stone yet. They claim March 26th but who really knows.

My question is during other launches (G80, Radeon 5xxx) at what time in the day did those cards appear on etailers sites? Basically I want to wake up early enough so I can get to my friends house, and either buy the card before it sells out or decide it costs too much. I just dont want to get stuck for another month waiting for the second wave of cards to hit the stores.

I'm not buying a 5850 or 5870 until Fermi comes out even if it sucks just because AMD will undoubtedly drop the price (even if not by much), and my friend is running a tight budget where every extra dollar helps.

Considering NVIDIA has waited 6 months to announce a release date, I'd say that it's pretty set in stone.
 
Hope you don't end up with one needing a RMA like people did with the 5000 series at release. You'll either get your money back or be waiting awhile on the replacement.

I wasn't aware the 5000 series have a low failure rate.
 
I should be a little more specific. I know the release date is not set in stone yet. They claim March 26th but who really knows.

My question is during other launches (G80, Radeon 5xxx) at what time in the day did those cards appear on etailers sites? Basically I want to wake up early enough so I can get to my friends house, and either buy the card before it sells out or decide it costs too much. I just dont want to get stuck for another month waiting for the second wave of cards to hit the stores.

I'm not buying a 5850 or 5870 until Fermi comes out even if it sucks just because AMD will undoubtedly drop the price (even if not by much), and my friend is running a tight budget where every extra dollar helps.


it all depends.. typically after the NDA or paper launch date.. it can take anywhere from 2-5 days before you see them on the shelf.. when you find out what the paper release date is.. call up your local stores to see when it goes on the shelf.. usually they will tell you or go in and talk to some one that works in that department.. also watch newegg.. usually they will put up a date on when they will start selling..
 
I wouldn't put faith in any article or person claiming insider details if they are still quoting those fake price points from sabrepc. NVIDIA sent Kyle a email specifically debunking those prices.
 
If your in the market for a brand new VideoCard today, for your current games, or new games like Sup Com 2, and BFBC2, get the 5870, and enjoy triple screen gaming on a single card.

Sure you can wait until March 26th, one month from now, but will it really be a [H]ard launch with more than 10 cards for sale up on the egg ? And how much the first week ? big buck$.

I bet for sure that AMD/ATI has some refresh cards due in April or so, to compete. So you could wait some more with that attitude, why buy the brand new nVidia card in March, if only the next month ATI has a better card out ?
 
Back
Top