Fenghuang Ridge AMD APU spotted in Sisoft database

Last edited:
No way this could be real.

It would mean AMD actually made a smart choice.

No way this could be real.

It would mean AMD actually made a smart choice.

LOL totally agree. Isnt the Xbox one X 2560 cores? But Polaris cores? I wonder how good this APU will be with Vega cores in it. Although I don't need one, this APU would be a good gaming budget built for people.

I wonder what's going to happen to the very low-end GPU market when this comes out. Some people are still going to need them but it's certainly going to be a smaller pool.

I wonder what's going to happen to the very low-end GPU market when this comes out. Some people are still going to need them but it's certainly going to be a smaller pool.

Well it will lower cost for people who want to build a budget gaming rig.

Think about it, you might be able to build a budget gaming PC and actually be faster than a console but cost less. But that depends IMO on memory prices. They are super high right now.

Well it will lower cost for people who want to build a budget gaming rig.

Think about it, you might be able to build a budget gaming PC and actually be faster than a console but cost less. But that depends IMO on memory prices. They are super high right now.
I mean once APUs get this powerful there will be less incentive for AMD and NVidia to focus attention on the RX540 / GT1030 level of spec. On one hand there are still people that are going to want a cheap (but new tech) video card for say a threadripper build where only the CPU is being used heavily. On the other you have a lot of budget gaming builds like you mentioned that suddenly don't need discrete cards anymore..

Whoa - interesting! Could come very close to an XB1X in power.

I wonder if this is the APU for Ryzen 2.
Do we even know if the desktop Raven Ridge is Summit Ridge-based or Pinnacle Ridge-based at this point?

40 GB/s is pretty awesome and that is at 2400 Mhz. My A12-9800 memory controller maxes out around 10 GB/s.

Whoa - interesting! Could come very close to an XB1X in power.

I wonder if this is the APU for Ryzen 2.
Do we even know if the desktop Raven Ridge is Summit Ridge-based or Pinnacle Ridge-based at this point?

40 GB/s is pretty awesome and that is at 2400 Mhz. My A12-9800 memory controller maxes out around 10 GB/s.

probably summit ridge. it's hard to say what clock speeds are correct since engineering samples tend to be all over the place depending on what they were created for.. some are for testing clock speeds, some power, some specifically for the iGP, etc, etc.

it'll still exist for people that need high end CPU's but don't need the graphic processing which is where the ultra low end gpu's come in handy. but really though as long as there is an OEM market there's always a reason for the low end discrete gpu's to exist.

I guess Raven Ridge is just the umbrella term. Picasso is classified as Raven Ridge. Fenguang may be Raven Ridge as well.
Similiar to Ryzen being the umbrella term for Pinnacle and Summit Ridge. And maybe Matisse too.

I have absolutely no idea about this mysterious leak. And there are contradictory comments around the web. Some claim it is a mainstream APU, others claims it is a semicustom design. Some claim it is an APU, others claim it is an MCM approach :confused:

According to this slide AM4 goes up to 11 compute units only unless they are going to change that. As far as I have seen Raven Ridge is monolithic requiring a new mask set to fab the extra compute units if indeed this is a true APU. As an MCM I doubt it would fit in an AM4 package.
2017-09-27-image-3.jpg

Now fully revealed:
https://www.techpowerup.com/246490/amd-unveils-its-most-powerful-semi-custom-soc-for-a-chinese-oem

Surely it has more functionality than an XB1x, but I don't think it is a "cut above" gaming wise.

The Zen cpu may help have an edge in 1080p, but the Vega 24 and 8gb ram versus the RX580+ and 12gb ram will lag behind in 1440p/4k.

i'd expect amd is using this as a test bench for the next version of the xbox.. i still want to punch that moron that made the first post on that techpower article..

There was also a 32 CU graphics product that had passed qualification or was sighted in the database. Half a Vega.
Edit- And that on a seven nm shrink would have enough room on an AM4 package for HBM2 for a killer APU but that would canibalize Polaris sales..

Last edited:
There was also a 32 CU graphics product that had passed qualification or was sighted in the database. Half a Vega.
Edit- And that on a seven nm shrink would have enough room on an AM4 package for HBM2 for a killer APU but that would canibalize Polaris sales..

i doubt they'll care about polaris sales at that point once the move to 7nm happens.

Back