• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Feeling like an idiot. Need help!

Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
10
So I had been using a 10 year old microsoft internet keyboard and a 10 dollar logitech oem mouse of the same age up until a few weeks ago. I figured I should probably shell out for something new.

I ended up, after lots of research and some in store testing, picking up a Razer Lycosa keyboard, which I like for the most part.

I also picked up a Gigabyte GM-M8000 (now discontinued and replaced by the 'X' version) for cheap with rebate off of newegg, and a Razer Vespula mousepad. The mousepad got to me all lumpy, it seemed to track pretty well, but between the lumpiness on one side making it unusable, the uncomfortable wrist rest, and a big ugly scratch that it had before I even touched it I decided to send it back.

I grabbed a Steelseries 4HD. I love the feel of it with the Gigabyte mouse. The only problem is it doesn't track well at all on it, there are consistent dead spots all over. They turn one hit kill headshots into shoulder fleshwounds, pretty annoying. I figured I would try another mouse and gift away the Gigabyte. I do like the Gigabyte but it is just a bit large for my hands.

I picked up a Logitech G700, because I love the idea of a wireless mouse. The tilt wheel though is messed up, on one side you have strong resistance and an audible click, like what you would expect... the other side is mushy, no audible click, and about 10 times easier to trigger on accident. I'm also having driver problems, when I plug/unplug the charging cable the left and right click buttons stop working properly until I power cycle the mouse. I have no clue what that is,I don't really care since it's going back for defects anyway, and frankly the thing is way too heavy.

It's impossible to hand test mouses at my local Frys since they only have the packaged for sale units and no demos. I've been thinking about the Razer Imperator mouse. It looks similar to the Gigabyte in button placement. I really like the DPI rocker switch on my Gigabyte and it looks like the Imperator has buttons in that spot which will probably work ok. Razer's site lists it as weighing 138g. I don't know if that inclues the cable or not...

I threw my Gigabyte on a food scale I have, which probably isn't very accurate. It was in the upper 150s with the cable, and like 120 with me trying to negate the cable weight. The G700 seemed to be about 160 with cable completely detached. Based on that should 138g scare me? If that's the mouse without considering the cable that may be a little too heavy.

Also, while the feel of the gigabyte is ok, frankly it's probably a bit too big for my hands, which are probably classified as small. I actually had to adapt my grip from using middle finger for right button and mouse wheel to middle for mouse wheel and then ring finger for right click. I'm now more or less used to it, but if my next mouse takes me back to my 'original' way that I'd been doing for 20 years, that would probably be OK.

Oh, also, the scroll wheel on the G700 sucks.

I guess the one thing that I'm having the most trouble with is finding the weight of various mouses. It's impossible to get a feel for it with packaging. Most of them have molded plastic around the mouse so you can get an idea of how well your hand fits it, but that's about it.

Does the Cyborg Rat 7 weigh a lot? Does anyone even own this Gigabyte mouse that I'm talking about? Any suggestions? I'm really sick of all the issues I've been having.

Thanks.
 
I think a lot of ppl looking for a new mouse setup go through a similar thought process. I was looking at the GM-M8000 myself but noone really knew much about it and the company had yet to prove themselves in the mouse arena. Ultimately I decided to go with a Logitech G9x a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. It offers customizable weight options, grip sizes, on the fly profile changer. Seems like you need options just like me. Also, if you want the "lumpyness" to be a non-issue. I would pickup a Ratpadz XT. This combo works really great for me. The G700 looks like a great mouse but I realized I wouldn't use all those buttons. I don't play MMOs and the G9x has more customizable inputs than I use already. It sucks you had to buy all these items, hopefully you can return them without hassle...
 
The Steelseries 4HD talks about how it's 'optimized' for laser sensors. I mean, if that's the case the Gigabyte mouse would track on it perfectly you would think, being a laser mouse and all. It tracks everything else... like I can't find a surface in my home that it doesn't track on except for the Steelseries mousepad... Looking for my G700 receipt and not finding it... *sigh*

The worst thing is that 2 of the 4 items are actually defective, not even counting the GM-M8000 and Steelseries compatibility problems... Where is the quality control?

Does anyone who reviews gaming mice bother to weigh the things? I hear lots of talk about adjustable weight systems, which my Gigabyte also has, but it's kind of a useless stat without a baseline weight... I mean the weight is one objective measure that as it turns out is decently important, so why does nobody measure it?
 
Having owned a Imperator, I can't recommend it. After that I can't recommend any mouse using the Philips Twin-Eye sensor.

Most of it comes down to personal preference. After using many different kinds of mice, my current favorite is the Intellimouse Optical. Despite it's age, it still has a sensor that tracks great, keeps up with fast arm swipes, and has a really low liftoff distance.

A lot of people like Logitech products here, you'll especially see the G500/G700 being mentioned. MX518s are also a good choice and is much cheaper than newer Logitech mice.
 
having used the diamond back, imperator, g500 and new 3.5g deathadder... keeping in mind i'm an eyefinity/high sensitivy user, i would totally advice against laser. deathadder has been perfect.
 
I ended up grabbing a Mionix Naos 5000. I liked the shape. Turns out it tracks great on the steelseries pad. I'm still adjusting, but so far I like it!

I'm surprised by the recommendation against laser. I also briefly pondered the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 which has a good reputation, and seemd to have a nice shape, but it didn't have the high dpi adjustable bells and whistles that I liked in my Gigabyte.
 
People advise against laser because the technology still hasn't matured like optical sensors. For a while they tended to be picky about mousing surfaces, especially cloth pads. I had a Steelseries Ikari Laser and a Steelseries 5L mousepad and the cursor would stair-step like crazy when moving the mouse.

DPI is overrated after a certain point depending on the sensitivity needs of the user. High DPI is also useless to low-sensitivity players like myself. It's also highly unlikely that anyone needs 5000 DPI or higher. Not that it's a bad thing if the sensor is truly capable of going that high without software interpolation, but if it's sacrificing tracking performance then there are some priority issues here.

The whole adjustable weight feature is useless to me. Every time I'd use a mouse that had a weight system I would take all the weights out. Just another useless gimmick that adds to the cost of the mouse without IMO. Who wants a heavy mouse anyway? It just makes it harder to start moving and harder to stop moving.
 
Mionix looks good, too bad they don't have a wireless version of the 5000.
On the other hand I'm very happy with my Mamba after switching to a while pad.
 
People advise against laser because the technology still hasn't matured like optical sensors. For a while they tended to be picky about mousing surfaces, especially cloth pads. I had a Steelseries Ikari Laser and a Steelseries 5L mousepad and the cursor would stair-step like crazy when moving the mouse.

They also have things like built in hardware acceleration, negative acceleration and mouse predictions, which many gamers are finicky about.

You're completely right about CPI (technically it's counts per inch), and it's basically just a marketing ploy at this point, unless you're using some absurd Eyefinity set up.

Razer's optical mice (Deathadder & Abyssus) have near perfect tracking without any of the above problems.
 
Razer's optical mice (Deathadder & Abyssus) have near perfect tracking without any of the above problems.

I'll agree with this if you're talking about the 3G optical sensor. The 3.5G tends to be more picky about surfaces than the 3G, although it is still a decent sensor.
 
Back
Top