Feedback on Win7 RC?

Samury

Limp Gawd
I've looked thought his subforum quite a bit and only seen paranoid delusions and out of date info about how you can't get the RC (I did without a problem, but don't have the time to install it yet). So what are actual users seeing from this release? How does it compare to the 7000 build? What have you noticed? What don't you like? That sort of thing. I probably won't get to install it until next week, but I'd like to have some idea of what to expect.

I thought there'd be a lot of useful info here, but either it's too obvious to see, it's hidden by all the trolling, or no one has bothered to post up-to-date info about it. So let's try it here.

I quite like it. My only issue, ATM, is my X-Fi card - seems that Creative haven't quite got the hang of things just yet. I'm getting audio lag in WMP. That aside, some very nice touches in Win 7 (this is my first experience with the new OS - not done any beta testing). I like the new Taskbar and I like the way it handles multiple windows. Things are snappy - just need to test some games next. Running the x64 version.

Not many differences from the earlier builds that I've noticed. I witness some friends doing an RC install tonight and they had one persistent problem with windows not seeing this one .dll for a media player classic filter.

I can't connect to the internet. I can't make my public network private. Some steamgames don't play.

I'd like to mentioned that I did an upgrade and not a fresh install.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if I remove my PCI nic, I'll be able to connect, but we'll see. So far i'm quite annoyed.

I like it so far but I can't find where to enable quicklaunch? Anyone?

it's basically vista with a slight facelift, and less aggressive superfetch post install....

so yea, think about how your computer runs with vista, now imagine it is running 7, and there u go...

I like it so far but I can't find where to enable quicklaunch? Anyone?

Quicklaunch is already in your taskbar. Add icons to it by finding them in Start, rightclick and add to taskbar. Or drag and drop.

I was reading the boards over at Windows7 forums and users there seem to be having the same issues as me. Anyone else getting these connectivity issues?

Unfortunately that's why an upgrade was not allowed. Your drivers could be busted or your whole install could be bad. Try your NIC drivers and then resort to a clean install.

Unfortunately that's why an upgrade was not allowed. Your drivers could be busted or your whole install could be bad. Try your NIC drivers and then resort to a clean install.

NAY! /sigh

I will able to do this when I get home. I'll keep you posted.

Ok, so I formatted and ran a clean install. Everything works great.

CS1.6
CS:S
L4D
Office 2007
blah
blah
etc..

I haven't had any problems with drivers and everything just feels "snappier".

MSFT anyone?

Ok, so I formatted and ran a clean install. Everything works great.

well whuddya know? :D

glad everything is working good for ya.

back OT.

I've been going through the phases with each release so the RC is really nothing new. It runs great on any piece of hardware Ive thrown at it. I'm really digging some of the interface features (snap, peak etc) and the new taskbar "just makes sense" to me. Network transfers seem to be doing okay, and it's awesome as an HTPC operating system.

I can't wait for RTM!

Somethings I havent tried, but am curious about.

-Connecting to domain
-Connecting to WHS

and it's awesome as an HTPC operating system.

-Connecting to WHS

Would you elaborate on HTPC usage? (software etc)

I can report that it works great with WHS. Connector installed, reports Windows 7 Ultimate correctly, has backed up successfully for 3 nights.

I can't connect to the internet. I can't make my public network private. Some steamgames don't play.

I'd like to mentioned that I did an upgrade and not a fresh install.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if I remove my PCI nic, I'll be able to connect, but we'll see. So far i'm quite annoyed.

I was reading the boards over at Windows7 forums and users there seem to be having the same issues as me. Anyone else getting these connectivity issues?
I noticed problems if I grab the newest drive from Windows Update. If I stick with the default 7 driver my connectivity is fine. Have you guys tried rolling back to the provided drivers? I noticed the same problem when in Vista also grabing the new driver so I don't know if it's a bad driver or if it's the OS.
Quicklaunch is already in your taskbar. Add icons to it by finding them in Start, rightclick and add to taskbar. Or drag and drop.
It's in your appdata\Microsoft\Internet Explorer folder I think. Just right click on the task bar, go to toolbars, new toolbar and navigate there (show hidden/system files first though so you can see it). I'm using the old quick launch and show desktop along with the new task bar for Windows Explorer.

I'm getting low bit rate errors watching live tv through Media Center using AverMedia Volar Max, it was working just fine with the first Win7 public build.

Connects to a domain just fine.... am using it right now to post this message. Acts/looks like Vista when you join.

I can report that it works great with WHS. Connector installed, reports Windows 7 Ultimate correctly, has backed up successfully for 3 nights.

Have you been able to remote into it from your WHS site? I've tried (and yes I turned on remote access) but WHS is reporting that remote access is turned off.

The only issue I had was it took forever to install my printer driver for some reason. It was no longer included in the default printers, so it did a good job of showing all printers available from windows update. Once I selected the printer to install, it hung all explorer windows for a good five minutes before completing the install. This did happen on the Beta as well too, which I think most people could have an issue with.

Other than that, I really like it (well I really liked Vista too).

They got rid of the More Information when transferring files. I liked that, you could see how much and how fast it was going.

Back