• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Feedback on this Monarch system?

stringer

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5
Hi all,

I'd appreciate your feedback on this machine that I configured at Monarch. I've been going back and forth between ABS, PC Club, Velocity and Monarch for a couple of weeks now, and this seems to offer the best bang for the buck. Besides, if I look at one more configurator my head will asplode :D

Machine will be used for moderately heavy gaming (WoW, FPS, RTS), light video editing, Photoshop, and as an ocassional backup for my dedicated digital audio recording machine:

Monarch Nemesis Custom Desktop w/PCI-E and SLI
Case: 100588 - PS 450W - Antec Sonata II Piano Black Qui $99.99
Power Supply: 100241 - PS 550W - Antec True Power 2 SLI ATX 2.0 $84.99
Case Fan: 100886 - 80mm - Antec 80mm SmartCool Case Fan $19.50


Motherboard: 110257 - Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Audio/GB- $159.68
Processor: 120233 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core 512K Per $390.00
Thermal Grease: 800018 - Shin-Etsu G675 Thermal Grease (Cools CPU $14.99
Heat Sink Fan: 130223 - Thermaltake TR2TT A4014 CPU Cooler for AM $19.73
Memory: 140178 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair $107.76
2nd Memory: 140178 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair $107.76
Hard Drive: 150939 - SATA3G - Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB $125.55
2nd Hard Drive: 150939 - SATA3G - Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB $125.55
3rd Hard Drive: 150939 - SATA3G - Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB $125.55
RAID Setup: 80012 - RAID 1 (One) $10.00 $10.00
RAID Controller: None
Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL Dual Layer $94.79
Lite-On SOHR-5239S 52X32X52 CD-RW $29.00

Mitsumi Floppy 7-in-1 USB Card Reader/Sma $46.75
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum 7.1 24-Bit So $179.00
Video Card: 190466-2 eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO 256MB DDR3/PCI-E/ $679.98
Add-On Card: 270408 - Fire Wire - 4 Port Fire Wire Card

Total Price: $2,855.00

I'm still torn on whether to go with the 2 7800GT's in SLI, or a single 7800GTX. I'm leaning heavily towards the SLI route. The power supply is another concern.

I considered an Opty instead of the X2, but I definitely will not be OC'ing this system.

Any comments would be appreciated.
 
Looks like a really nice machine. Lots o' storage - lol. If you're a heavy gamer, it's hard not to go with SLI if that's an option for you. We've got 7800GT's in SLI in a system in our [H] Consumer offices right now and it's a beast of a machine.

The X-Fi sound card is also a very nice choice. Very impressive sound solution.
 
Thanks for the reply DNA Doc. Heh, I must have slipped up on the build -- 2 HD's should be plenty, not sure where that 3rd one came from.

Glad to hear that the dual 7800GT approach works well, I think that's what I'll go with.
 
Back
Top