Feedback on Component Upgrade as a service

ncrmro

n00b
Howdy yall, I’m Nic from Houston, TX a long time PC enthusiast. I've often wanted to upgrade a specific component but selling the old part has been a hassle. I've been working on a project called JTX and I'm looking for feedback on the landing page and general flow of upgrading a GPU (the only thing supported at this time).

If you click on the following link the homepage currently has three GPU upgrade a user can make.

https://jtronics.exchange/

Is this something yall would use?

Any feedback for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

There are way too many problems with this model to list, I definitely wouldn't use a service like that.

But to list a few:

- Not all video cards are the same. Just because it says 3080 or 2060 or 1070, doesn't mean it will be the same as another card from another manufacturer or even a different version from the same manufacturer. A flat pricing model won't work. A crap 1070 is going to sell for a whole lot less than a good 1070, same applies to any other card model.

- No way to tell if the card was mined to death, overclocked to the moon, overheated, or other abuse.

- No way to tell the environment the card came from, which is a problem for you. If the previous owner smoked like a chimney, nobody is going to want that card. Even cleaning it to within an inch of its life won't make that smell go away. You could be unethical for all we know and pass the card on to someone else without informing them of anything.

- You have no trust. People are going to be very suspicious of you being a scam. You could pretend to do an exchange and just run off with the card and money in the dead of night. Not to say that you would do it, but there's no trust.

I've seen services like this for decades in the PC world, they just don't last because there's no profit. You put a lot of risk and trust in customers not sending you crap and having to waste time on the back end dealing with fraud. This eats significantly into your bottom line. You'd literally need a full time team and a lawyer on retainer from day 1 to deal with those problems, and that's not cheap.

There are way too many problems with this model to list, I definitely wouldn't use a service like that.

But to list a few:

- Not all video cards are the same. Just because it says 3080 or 2060 or 1070, doesn't mean it will be the same as another card from another manufacturer or even a different version from the same manufacturer. A flat pricing model won't work. A crap 1070 is going to sell for a whole lot less than a good 1070, same applies to any other card model.

- No way to tell if the card was mined to death, overclocked to the moon, overheated, or other abuse.

- No way to tell the environment the card came from, which is a problem for you. If the previous owner smoked like a chimney, nobody is going to want that card. Even cleaning it to within an inch of its life won't make that smell go away. You could be unethical for all we know and pass the card on to someone else without informing them of anything.

- You have no trust. People are going to be very suspicious of you being a scam. You could pretend to do an exchange and just run off with the card and money in the dead of night. Not to say that you would do it, but there's no trust.

I've seen services like this for decades in the PC world, they just don't last because there's no profit. You put a lot of risk and trust in customers not sending you crap and having to waste time on the back end dealing with fraud. This eats significantly into your bottom line. You'd literally need a full time team and a lawyer on retainer from day 1 to deal with those problems, and that's not cheap.

Hey, thank you for your very constructive feedback. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

To your first point, those prices can be drilled down to an exact part, currently the only part attributes that generate these pricing is chipset and memory.

---

The form that shows up after clicking can filter down by anything shown in the parts page and generate a price delete between an upgrade and current part.

Regarding part milage/wear and tear I've always heard people should look out for but I've never actually heard anyone buying a part and being concluding it's not working cause its been overclocked to hard or it's overheated (eg any used parts I've bought of eBay always come from reputable sellers).

For silicone degradation I don't think this would be something you see until quite a few years have gone by,

Third, I would be sending you the upgrade part first and then the customer would send back their old part. Which yes, does involve a ton of trust, but payments happen through Stripe and I'm able to put holds on cards.

Do you think I should make it more clear that the customer receives the upgrade part before getting the current part.

Regarding part milage/wear and tear I've always heard people should look out for but I've never actually heard anyone buying a part and being concluding it's not working cause its been overclocked to hard or it's overheated (eg any used parts I've bought of eBay always come from reputable sellers).

I'm jaded when it comes to used computer hardware. I always expect the worst, because I've more often than not been dealt junk. I've also seen the worst in customer machines over the years from negligence and abuse. From my perspective, people never take care of their stuff and run it to death.

I've seen dozens and dozens of video cards over the years that have been baked to death from overclocking or fan failure that was ignored.

For silicone degradation I don't think this would be something you see until quite a few years have gone by,

Degradation due to electron migration is a very real thing, and it can be problematic in just 4-6 years depending on how hard the device was run. I've seen server CPUs that were run balls to the wall for just 5-6 years not be able to maintain their stock or boost clocks anymore without bumping the vcore up.

But you're not only having to worry about the ASIC die, the memory and the voltage regulation circuitry can also die as well, and do.

Third, I would be sending you the upgrade part first and then the customer would send back their old part. Which yes, does involve a ton of trust, but payments happen through Stripe and I'm able to put holds on cards.

Do you think I should make it more clear that the customer receives the upgrade part before getting the current part.

However you decide to handle the exchange should be explained in the best simple terms you can.

Sending the card first is probably a good idea from a customer trust perspective, it just depends on how much risk you're willing to take.

Back