Federal Jury Convicts Former EliteTorrents.org Administrator

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
On Friday, a federal jury found Daniel Dove, an administrator for defunct BitTorrent site EliteTorrents.org, guilty on one count each of conspiracy and felony copyright infringement. This is the first jury conviction for P2P copyright infringement, according to the release.

Dove was an administrator for EliteTorrents.org, an Internet piracy site that, until May 25, 2005, was a source of infringing copyrighted works, specifically pre-release movies. Elite Torrents used BitTorrent peer-to-peer (P2P) technology to distribute pirated works to thousands of members around the world.

I used to go there to pick up certain free ware tools, it was a pretty easy way to keep them up to date

oh well, too bad

great... the almighty fbi crack down on p2p... Shame about the terrorists. P2P obviously the next world domination threat. Shame they wont investigate RIAA and the Movie cartel.

/me sighs.

Oh well FBI gotta get funding for their illegal database from somewhere being as congress axed their next 11mil for it. Guess the movie crowd will be footing the bill.

/cynical.

great... the almighty fbi crack down on p2p... Shame about the terrorists. P2P obviously the next world domination threat. Shame they wont investigate RIAA and the Movie cartel.

/me sighs.

Oh well FBI gotta get funding for their illegal database from somewhere being as congress axed their next 11mil for it. Guess the movie crowd will be footing the bill.

/cynical.
"
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is the primary investigative arm of the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), serving as both a federal criminal investigative body and a domestic intelligence agency.
"

There's plenty of reasons to criticize the FBI, but global terrorism is not one of them.

You missed the point...

Apparently P2P's are worse than terrorists and require the FBI to chase.

The snide point about their datamining database was just a cheap poke at people that think that ignoring your right to privacy as a fundemental right is a good idea. Welcome to the police state?

I know pirates are always looking for justification to excuse their behavior, but this case was pretty clear cut:
link said:
The evidence showed that Dove recruited members who had very high-speed Internet connections, usually at least 50 times faster than a typical high-speed residential Internet connection, to become Uploaders. The evidence also showed that Dove operated a high-speed server, which he used to distribute pirated content to the Uploaders.
The P2P part happened later, but that was probably why the FBI went after 1337 torrents. The copyright laws were made exactly to stop what Daniel Dove was doing: wholesale infringement.

You missed the point...

Apparently P2P's are worse than terrorists and require the FBI to chase.

You missed the point that terrorists don't organize in the US, and the FBI is in charge of domestic investigation. Not to mention it probably didn't take more than 1 agent to go after a BT site.

You missed the point that terrorists don't organize in the US, and the FBI is in charge of domestic investigation. Not to mention it probably didn't take more than 1 agent to go after a BT site.

You missed 9/11 or something?:confused:

I said they don't organize here. :p

Either way, the thought that the FBI only moves in one direction is silly.

Back