FEAR2 Confirmed. No server files, No AC, No SDK

F.E.A.R.

[H]ard|Gawd
Monolith,

You are definitely not the company you used to be. Do us all a favor and don't release FEAR3 for PC. It will save you the embarrassment. What a disgrace! Unbelievable.

This is what the devs posted yesterday before the thread got deleted. There was insta-rage from forum members....many of them long time posters. This is the message:

All,

I have just received official word that server files, anti-cheat and an SDK will not be made available for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. We truly regret any inconvenience this may cause our fans and appreciate your continued support of both Monolith Productions and the F.E.A.R. franchise.

Also, while I realize that this is truly a bummer for many of you, I can say that we continue to work hard on DLC and other content that we are excited about (and think you will be too).

Thank you,

-Marauder

This is failure of epic proportions!!!!

the SDK for FEAR ruined the MP, Before that there was no invisible, god mode, rapid firing, unlimited ammo etc...etc...etc...

monolith sucks

they ruined the first fear by allowing all the exploits, nothing but hackers in that game.

Monolith, PC gamers will never forgive you unless you make NOLF 3 or Shogo 2.

That said, if they are nothing but a pathetic console port like FEAR 2 was...good riddance to what was once one of my favorite companies.

A stand alone server, and if not a full SDK, at least a map builder seems to be the almost required for FPS games that have a MP component theses days, and for the last few years. I wonder why they decided to not release them?

A good MP component to a game can keep you selling copies for a long ass time if your games is decent and the community gets behind it with mods and MP maps. Q3, UT99, UT2004, TF2, and, of course, CS and CS:S for example. The decision to forgo releasing the SDK and Server files just guaranteed that FEAR2 MP will die off fairly quickly. Do they not like long term sales, or did they figure the game's MP was not going to catch on, no matter what, and just decide to not bother with it?

Monolith,

You are definitely not the company you used to be. Do us all a favor and don't release FEAR3 for PC. It will save you the embarrassment. What a disgrace! Unbelievable.

This is what the devs posted yesterday before the thread got deleted. There was insta-rage from forum members....many of them long time posters. This is the message:

All,

I have just received official word that server files, anti-cheat and an SDK will not be made available for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. We truly regret any inconvenience this may cause our fans and appreciate your continued support of both Monolith Productions and the F.E.A.R. franchise.

Also, while I realize that this is truly a bummer for many of you, I can say that we continue to work hard on DLC and other content that we are excited about (and think you will be too).

Thank you,

-Marauder

monolith sucks

they ruined the first fear by allowing all the exploits, nothing but hackers in that game.

You both sound like whiny bitches. There's cheating in EVERY single online FPS made to date. Welcome to the internet. I played Fear's multiplayer extensively in my off time from CS and I had absolutely no problem topping score boards or keeping up with the best in the server(s).

This shit's the reason PC gamers get such a bad rap for being elitist snobs.

Fear was a good game, Fear 2 was a good game. The expansions on the other hand were garbage.

I get sick of seeing this pc gamers vs. "insert developer/publisher" here threads. If you don't like the game don't buy it.

That said, if they are nothing but a pathetic console port like FEAR 2 was...good riddance to what was once one of my favorite companies.

I know what you mean. Monolith used to be dynamic, now they have sold out their soul.

You both sound like whiny bitches. If you don't like the game don't buy it.

Hmm.....let's see no server files so MP play is non-existant (but was the main aspect of the first game) and what I bought the game for. I didn't pay $50 for a short single player mission. Monolith knew all these details and yet decided to not say anything even during the week the game went gold. No Anti-cheat which can be worked around with a heavily policed server, and password protect the server, but still not good. No SDK so we are left with a total of 6 TDM maps? That's it forever???

They removed many of the things that made the game great instead of fixing all the glitches. For example: holstering and leaning. My clan as well as many other top notch vet clans were looking forward to compete again in the leagues, but that's out the window. Oh yes don't forget all the consolized aspects of the game which we haven't talked about. No it is not whinning it is telling Monolith that we were deceived and as customers we won't stand up to it.

By all means go spend your money on FEAR3.....

So basically this is confirmation of what some of us have seen coming for weeks: For all the intents and purposes, the game is dead and abandoned.

I even suddenly lost interestin in the multiplayer about two weeks ago. Up until that time, I saw dramatic drop offs in number of people playing and active servers at any given time.

What happened to Monolith? I just finished a replay of a gem like No One Lives Forever 2 last week and between that and remembering the first FEAR, lumps and all...this is a sad, needless waste.

black_b[ ]x;1033923197 said:
they need to get their act together and work on NOLF3 :)

Yes, this is incredibly overdue and they still need to pay penance for Contract J.A.C.K.

Oh yay! Another I hate FEAR 2 thread!.....

This will go perfect with the other twenty fucking threads all saying just about the same thing.

Actually, I like the game.

Did you even read any of the posts in here before chiming in? Doesn't the title of the thread itself clue you in to someth

This will go perfect with the other twenty fucking threads all saying just about the same thing.

Probably not.

If you're not interested in the subject, why post in a thread about it?

I don't think this is a knock at single player, but more so to how the game is essentially being disregarded by the creators. No anti cheat, no SDK, etc. The game won't really progress any more than it already has, and will probably be littered with cheaters so multiplayer is pointless. Pretty weak if you ask me.

I don't think this is a knock at single player, but more so to how the game is essentially being disregarded by the creators. No anti cheat, no SDK, etc. The game won't really progress any more than it already has, and will probably be littered with cheaters so multiplayer is pointless. Pretty weak if you ask me.

Correct.

This is a big letdown for those of us that like this game and had hopes for its future.

The announcement just came out....so no this is not another "I hate FEAR thread".

Amazing...a FEAR 2 update came out today:

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin

Added 'Toy Soldier' multiplayer maps

Fixed some AI path finding errors

Fixed the way the Leaderboard counted wins/losses for Blitz games

Team is notified when an EPA comes online

It's some sign of life at least.

A group of coders posted over at the FEAR2 forums said that they are working on dedicated files. Needless to say Monolith made an official announcement not supporting it, but who knows?.....

A group of coders posted over at the FEAR2 forums said that they are working on dedicated files. Needless to say Monolith made an official announcement not supporting it, but who knows?.....

I'm really pleased with the new maps. I think they're clever as can be and they really add a much needed new dimension and breath of fresh air to the online gameplay. You have to bring your best accuracy and distance shooting game to the table for sure.

Monolith,

All,

Thank you,

-Marauder

None of the things you've mentioned change the fact that FEAR 2 is still an awesome single player experience.

None of the things you've mentioned change the fact that FEAR 2 is still an awesome single player experience.

Hey if you are into sluggish character movement, horrible hit detection, glitches, no lean, horrible shadows, dumb AI, and zero scare factor then this is the game for you.

Hey if you are into sluggish character movement, horrible hit detection, glitches, no lean, horrible shadows, dumb AI, and zero scare factor then this is the game for you.

Admittedly, the first expansion to FEAR 1 was better than FEAR 2 imho. But FEAR 2 was still an OK game.

Haven't tried the FEAR 2 MP yet, as for the single player: it's fun, but it feels like a console game. I can tag pretty much all the baddies without using slow-mo, it's far more of a novelty than anything else.

I wouldn't call them scares, but with the volume way up and the room nice & dark, there's a pretty decent atmosphere.

Certainly another example of game dynamics being sacrificed for portability & focus on the cinematic element.

Back