fear.exe is a virus??

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
i have avg free edition and today it updated and told me that my game fear (real version) is a virus. it says fear.exe virus identified obfustat.jga. the game has been on my pc for awhile now, and so has the avg. you think something slipped itself into my fear.exe?

I'd say it's a false positive; hwever, is it listed as fear.exe or FEAR.exe? I'm pretty sure the game's process is all caps, but I haven't played for awhile.

it is in all caps FEAR.exe. deadly did this happen to you todaqy too??

Hello All,

I have also rec'd this warning from AVG free edition.

Anyone have more info on this matter?

crap. Same here. This shortly after Bioshock reporting a trojan. Hope the two aren't related.

I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. I remember a recent thread talking about something similar, and I think it was AVG free. Maybe try some other free AVs and see what happens.

Or get NOD32. :D

I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. I remember a recent thread talking about something similar, and I think it was AVG free. Maybe try some other free AVs and see what happens.

Or get NOD32. :D

I agree... it's got to be a false positive...

As advised, try NOD32, you can d/l the 30 day free trial....

Same here. AVG says FEAR.exe is a virus. I guess it's just in the latest update - I highly doubt all of us somehow got the exact same virus at the same time. :p

I have the exact same problem. AVG put FEAR.exe in the vault and won't let me restore it.
I reinstalled FEAR and when I went to play it the first time, it started ok bit it quickly crashed with an error saying Windows encountered a problem and FEAR would close. Now when I try to run it, it can't find the file FEAR.exe and it is no where on my drive.

So, does anybody know what to do about it? I Googled Obfustat.jga and hardforum.com is all that it found. AVG's virus encyclopedia has nothing about it.

Bah, me too. Just googled: Obfustat.jga fear and got this thread. I hope AVG can sort out all these false positives happening!

Edit: There's an update for AVG now that's fixed the issue! Phew! Although it shouldn't have happened in the first place, you got to hand it to them for the speed in correcting the mistake.

My free AVG had another update yesterday and I no longer have FEAR.exe detected as a possible virus.

Maybe this newer update fixed the "false positive"

Being fairly certain of a false positive, I unistalled AVG Pro, this version also reported FEAR.exe, reinstalled FEAR and scanned with the free scanner on McAfee's site. It didn't detect the file as being infected. I emailed AVG tech support and while not admitting to a false positive, the tech directed me to a new update and the problem went away.

Wow guys come on...

False Positive.

Sierra Forum Moderator phecky:
"Please be advised that the latest update of AVG anti virus program is producing some false positives for many FEAR installs right now. Choose to ignore this warning from AVG instead of taking any healing or corrective action or it may will result in corruption of your FEAR.exe file.

You may have to disable the resident shield temporarily but remember to re-enable it afterwards if you find FEAR not starting. This will allow FEAR to run normally. Do this until Grisoft hopefully updates it's AVG program."

As for Bioshock AVG comes up with a trojan for that because it uses SecuROM. What SecuROM does is "phone home" and activates your game and gives you the executable. However SecuROM somehow messes up the executable so AVG thinks it is a rootkit. This is not actually a Sony rootkit as rumored when the game was first released, but AVG still flags it as one.
Inquirer Article on Bioshock < Update of that 2K has officially increased number of installs to 5.

So neither game has any virus... Both False Positives. Just deactivate AVG before playing either.

Back