• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FE2111SB-BK Vs. SAMSUNG 710VT

FrozenOver2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2003
Messages
324
This is the question I have been debating for the last 3 months and while the forum was down. Since I am graduating from high school I have aquired large amounts of cash + my summer job has given me even more. Most of it will be used towards college but a little will be used for this. Now that I am going to college and I know that things can get pretty rough in residence halls. I have questioned the durablitly of a 17 inch lcd to that of the 22inch nec CRT. The other stipulation is transporting the 22inch. I have a car and my college is like hour and a half from my house so I was thinking that it might be a pain in the ass to have to carry / deal with a 22inch full size crt cause its large. Also my desk space at college might be slightly limited also so I will have to find that out when I get there on this saturday for a visit. 3rd thing the overall screen difference between a 22inch and a 17 LCD is 3inches. DAmn thats alot and the resolution, I am one of those who loves to have it cranked all the way up. I am running my Veiwsonic P-790 at 1600x1200 at 74hz and it sucks the life outta my eyes because its so fuzzy and small and unclear. Is there going to be any improvement with the NEC 22inch cause I know for sure the LCD will be crisp and clean. And I also like to play CS, BF1942, and WC3 and someothers. And might be majoring in computer science so I need something that will be nice and good to look at.......

Oh and both will be purchased from newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-040&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-158&depa=0

Any other suggestions are welcome !!!
 
If you lived at home then i would say go for the 22" CRT. I would get the NEC FP2141SB instead though but thats beside the point. Point is you aren't going to have enough room on the desks in college dorms for a 22" CRT. And dont forget having to carry this thing to your room and possibly take it home with you at times like christmas and spring break. You dont want to pack an 80lb. CRT around believe me. My Mitsubishi 19" only weighs 60lb. and it gets really heavy if you carry it very far.

The 17" LCD will be light and your best choice. I've been in alot of college dorm rooms (especially girls :p ) and almost all of them had LCD's.
 
Ergh, I have a 19" LCD at work and couldn't imagine making the resolution any higher than 1280x1024 (not like I could anyway, but that's besides the point). Perhaps you should lower your current CRT to 1280x1024 so you don't wind up hurting your eyes.

Anyway, I dunno if your 4200 has a digital video out, but if it does, why not wait until the 710T comes out? I'm sure that using a digital signal on an LCD is better than analog. It is a bit more expensive though.

And of course there's always the "Ooo" factor of having a nice, sleek LCD vs. the "Whoa" of having a behemoth 22" CRT ;).
 
gamz247 said:
Ergh, I have a 19" LCD at work and couldn't imagine making the resolution any higher than 1280x1024 (not like I could anyway, but that's besides the point). Perhaps you should lower your current CRT to 1280x1024 so you don't wind up hurting your eyes.

I run 1600x1200 on my 19" CRT and i LOVE it. I hate small resolutions. I like a big huge viewing screen. My DP930SB has an 88Hz refresh rate at 1600x1200 though :).

Also to the original poster, good luck in Computer Science. I started out with that major for about a week and thoroughly hated it enough that i switched my major to Computer Networking. Software programming just isn't my thing. I prefer to deal with the hardware aspect.
 
Dude you also got to remember if i get a 80lbs 22inch then me at 6'6 240 can carry it very easly from the parking lot 50 yards away to my dorm room. And it would also be a hell of alot harder for some one to steal it.
 
And all i know right now i have the leadtek 4200ti so it has dvi and vga so what ever that means lol.
 
hmmmm yea ive been mulling over the same decision here for the last month or so, as ive been looking at the same CRT but the new 12ms samsung is looking pretty sweet too. Any other thoughts on the matter? I hadnt really thought about the whole bringing stuff home for xmas deal so thats a good point.
 
Get the monitor that will best fit into your environment.

I can recommend the 2111SB though. I just got it last week off eBay brand new for $375. It's probably the best gaming monitor I've had in a while. The naviset software will get you up and going in no time.
 
isp said:
Get the monitor that will best fit into your environment.

I can recommend the 2111SB though. I just got it last week off eBay brand new for $375. It's probably the best gaming monitor I've had in a while. The naviset software will get you up and going in no time.

The FE2111SB doesn't have as high of refresh rates as the FP and DP models do though. I would try to get ahold of an FP2141SB or the Mitsubishi DP2070SB if i'm going to shell out $600 on a CRT.
 
burningrave101 said:
The FE2111SB doesn't have as high of refresh rates as the FP and DP models do though. I would try to get ahold of an FP2141SB or the Mitsubishi DP2070SB if i'm going to shell out $600 on a CRT.

I would go with a 2141or 2070 too if cost wasn't a factor for me.

He is already eyeballing the 2111SB so I figured I would recommend it since I have one, and I'm quite pleased with it. It wasn't my suggestion as the best 22" CRT.
 
oh yeah what about the dell Fp2001 or something like that the 20.1inch LCD cause then i would have the best of both worlds kinda.
 
I own the NEC FE2111 and I wouldnt get rid of it any time soon.

I'm in college and live in the dorms and havent found the bulkiness of the monitor to be a problem.

The argument about moving the monitor back and forth from the home and dorm really isnt that big of any issue. I find myself having to do that with most other items in my dorm room, so one extra trip to carry an excellent monitor like the FE2111isnt really a big deal at all.

I'm a big gamer and a 22" CRT display seems to suit my needs best.

LCD's also serve a purpose, but I've found a bigger screen @ a lower price are my primary concerns.
 
I was at fry's today and saw the FE2111 it looked really nice however there was this veiwsonic that costed a little more with a 100 dollar rebate I was wondering if anybody knew anything about it. I think it was a P22b or something.
 
Back
Top