FCC rules Verizon can't charge for Wi-Fi tethering on 4G

It may not apply to grandfathered unlimited data plans though, just the metered plans. They cannot block the sale of tethering apps in the Play store. The possibility that someone on an unlimited plan caught tethering may have to switch to a metered plan.

Obviously what Verizon did was the profits that pdanet, etc, would have made if Verizon's uprooted customers could purchase the app for the one time fee of $15 instead of giving Verizon $30 a month. I wonder if pdanet could sue Verizon now.

It may not apply to grandfathered unlimited data plans though, just the metered plans. They cannot block the sale of tethering apps in the Play store. The possibility that someone on an unlimited plan caught tethering may have to switch to a metered plan.

Does anyone have unlimited 4G data?

lol, most people who have been a verizon customer since before last summer (and some even after) still have unlimited data

I blew through about 9GB last month

I know a few people carrying along an unlimited plan, but they failed to end up on a 4G data plan for whatever reason. Sucks for them :)

I'm on unlimited 4G and I can now download tethering apps through the market.

...not that it matters since it's built into my GNex roms already. :p

I wonder if Verizon will be forced to take out the tethering kernel blocks in the DROID phones that we've seen.

So that is why the share plans are getting tethering with no extra charge.

I too have unlimited 4G built in but my dumb ass sister in law (still on my family plan) changed to a dumb phone and back and lost hers ;)

Verizon plays a very good game, and unblocking the tethering for data plans is a great idea becuase of overages, but annecdotally there are really few people that actually heavily use tethering compared to the mass of their customer base.

Back