FCC Expected to Rule Against Comcast

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 28, 2008.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Another high profile internet case that seems to be dragging on forever might be coming to an end soon. The FCC is widely expected to lay the smack down on Comcast for slowing / delaying / blocking internet traffic.

2. tesfaye

tesfaye 2[H]4U

Yay (although it doesn't affect me)! It's good to see the feds making sure companies behave and abide by the law. I was afraid Comcast would continue this behavior unchecked even with all of the consumer complaints.

3. michael.pa2

michael.pa2 2[H]4U

The whole ISP business here needs a kick in the ass,we're lagging behind other countries in this area.

4. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

ok so what comcast did is illegal and i agree with them.

however this is what time warner is doing:
    1. instead of restricting users... they are charging extremely heavy usage fines in texas.

so if you go over your limit for the month, you get a per gb charge.

now... they will punish users with $... but will they get sued?

i dont see how this is better for hte consumer. all it is is more money and more tax revenue. how come this isn't an alarm?

all of these policies stump american innovation. we are going to fall behind soon in the net world unless we start beating other countries in the speed race

5. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

I have a feeling that any loss in result of the FCC will trickle down to the consumers.

6. DemonDiablo

DemonDiablo [H]ard|Gawd

OH but it does affect. It affects everyone.

7. dR.Jester

dR.Jester 2[H]4U

COMCASTRATED NO MORE!

8. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

/preparing for wrist slap

9. ajira99

ajira99 Limp Gawd

Yep.. yep. Sigh! I wonder if I can install my own fiber?!

10. tesfaye

tesfaye 2[H]4U

Actually I don't see how this will have much of an effect on anyone (shady ISPs excluded). It's business as usual as far as rates and metering goes. I haven't seen anything stating that those practices are an issue with the FCC and providers have been contemplating/testing that for a while. ISPs just won't be able to deny portions of service the way Comcast did without catching the attention of the FCC(given the current situation), which will probably try to fine the next offender especially if they have the power to do so.

Re: Ruling=Fees/Tax Revenue etc.
    I look at this as a stern warning from the FCC and Comcast would probably be really careful about how they meter the connections if they were to impose usage caps and extra fees associated with them. I would bet that the limits would only inconvenience the few that feel they should be able to run 24/7 servers utilizing 100% of the bandwidth 100% of the time. It may end up being a non-issue. Yeah, I'm being a bit optimistic.

11. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

12. Nemesis999

Nemesis999 2[H]4U

That's not what they said...

They said "stop what you're doing in the timeframe you decided" :rolleyes:

13. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

14. bob

bob 2[H]4U

I have corrected the massive error that your post contained. It is now more realistic, and depressing :(. Although the FCC might do things differently for the heck of it, but any action by government agencies against a large company usually seems to amount to pocket-change. A fine of a few million, to 100 million... whats that to comcast? It may be a speed bump, but it certainly wont take the wind out of their sails.

15. HOCP4ME

HOCP4ME 2[H]4U

A warning that tougher punishment might follow if they don't stop their illicit practices?

The idea here is to get Comcast to stop throttling and capping. That is good for the consumer. The idea is not to fine the heck out of Comcast as punishment. That will result in higher service costs, which is bad for the consumer.