FBI Needs Hackers

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Apr 20, 2016.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

I would seriously doubt that this story at the New York Times surprises any HardOCP readers. Hell, the FBI has reached to HardOCP at least twice over the years for help on issues they were having.

In Tuesday’s hearing, Ms. Hess did not provide details on how the F.B.I. ultimately gained access to the San Bernardino iPhone but said the agency had come to rely on private sector partners to keep up with changes in technology. She said that there was no one-stop solution and that the agency generally should not use third parties to hack into systems but lacks the expertise to break past encryption.

2. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle:

I'm curious, and I understand if you can't talk about it, but what sort of problems was the FBI looking for help with when they contacted you?

3. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

If the pay was okay I totally would apply. Then I would work a few years and flip to be a movie consultant to make the FBI look hip in the movies and not the typical lameoid spazzes they have been. More Adam Scott as McPherson in 'Torque' and less Agent Johnson via Diehard or Agent Gill in Hackers. Hmmmm.... The future!

4. britjh22

britjh22 Limp Gawd

Having only ever seen it lampooned, is Torque really a model for other movies?

5. modi123

Their FBI agents are pretty swanky.. well.. until the end and then it gets super douche.

6. scobar

scobar .

There are users here, I would go on a limb and say they were investigating said user(s) for alleged thingso_O.

7. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

I am going to apply for this position. My hacking skills are just as efficient as the post office or any GOV agency so I should be a shoe in.

8. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I was looking through some old papers the other day and found the letter the FBI sent me about my application. It said that they would be in contact with me.
    It's been over 15 years and I haven't heard back from them yet.

9. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

Almost certainly. I doubt it was for security/hacking advice.

10. modi123

Not to mention we know all the kewl kids go to the NSA. Why hang out with the AV club when you can hitch your future on the popular clique.

alxlwson likes this.