FBI Investigating 11 Internet Cable-Cutting Attacks In California

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's with all these internet cable-cutting incidents in California lately? As a crook, how do you even know which lines to cut?

The FBI is investigating at least 11 physical attacks on high-capacity Internet cables in California's San Francisco Bay Area dating back a year, including one early Tuesday morning. Agents confirm the latest attack disrupted Internet service for businesses and residential customers in and around Sacramento, the state's capital.

Where I live we had the lines dug up and cut a few times and as far as I know they were all inside jobs by either disgruntled or former emplyee.

Where I live we had the lines dug up and cut a few times and as far as I know they were all inside jobs by either disgruntled or former emplyee.
Last big story on this that was the case.

OTOH, nowadays security systems and phones rely on internet and this is also the equivalent to 'cutting the phone lines' cliche in a robbery.

Tbh, I am surprised that it has taken this long for it to happen.
Its impossible to supervise all the cables their whole lengths that could be exposed.and the damage can cause massive disruption.
There are a lot of turds in the world.

Just put them right next to the natural gas line. someone tries to cut them and happens to be a bit sloppy...BOOM!

Our infrastructure is mighty vulnerable in this country. Luckily criminals and terrorists aren't very smart most time.

I spent close to 20 years doing IT for AT&T be it as an employee or as a vendor .. my gut feeling this could be an ex or current group of employees.
AT&T has been cutting a lot of jobs both in wire / POTS,out side fiber installation and in house frames CO techs. Currently more jobs for techs in Ca & Nv will be axed. Internally the morale for west coast employees is extremely low. So It would not surprise me if this was an inside job.

Years back someone isolated our city by cutting a major fibre cable. You could not make any long distance calls. If I had to guess all those towns could not talk to each other each as everything comes back here. They wanted to steal an ATM machine so they cut the fibre figuring it would disable the alarm. Instead it created a Christmas tree at every NOC in town whether it was the phone company, or utilities that have circuits leaving town, etc. Now THAT is how to get someone dispatched to an area fast. I was working help desk back then... we were busy. :D

I've heard about copper thieves too, they'll steal a 900 pair cable right off a pole. These people don't realize they're bringing down communications by doing this which will trigger someone to go check it out. Most of the time they get caught, for what, maybe a couple hundred bucks worth of copper? Those cables may look big but it's individual small pairs that are insulated, not to mention a scrap yard will probably question why you have a bunch of telcom cable in a non company truck. It's not like you can say you ripped that out of your house while doing renovations.

Its happened twice in my town in Arizona. Only 2 cables going into town, cut one and half the town goes dead. Its amazing to see how much we depend on the internet, no credit cards or ATM's, the university shut down, lots of businesses just decided to close. Basically shut everything down for 36 hours.

Back