FBI Has 411M Photos In Its Facial Recognition System

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know why people are so up in arms about the FBI having 411 million photos in its facial recognition system. Facebook uses facial recognition for almost all of its 1.3 billion users and no one bats an eye. The FBI does it and everyone craps their pants. :D

The FBI has amassed more than 411 million photos as part of its vast facial recognition database, according to a government watchdog -- which in a new report criticized the system for its lack of safeguards and protections. That includes millions of individuals' driving license photos, as well as photos of foreigners applying for visas, and criminal mugshots.

I feel like facebook would spend more on the development of such a program too.

I think it may partially be because Facebook does not command hundreds of armed men who have the authority to throw you in a cage filled with chronic aggressors... yet.

I think it may partially be because Facebook does not command hundreds of armed men who have the authority to throw you in a cage filled with chronic aggressors... yet.

Oh, so much this^^

Though, to be fair, I'm not on Facebook and my LinkedIn profile pic isn't any good for facial recognition. (wrong type/profile for it and I'm in a group)

I'm sure Facebook can make a quick phone call and get the FBI to do their dirty work for them. You know...Help!! Somebody violated my copyrights!! Or Help!! Somebody is a hackin' my files!!!

screen-shot-2016-06-15-at-3-39-46-pm.png

The first repository only contains foreigners, the same is true for the State Department repository.

I am taking a guess that the State Operated repositories are ones that the FBI was given access to.

Anyway, 146.7 million are not of US Persons, sucks to live in those three states I guess, but why would I complain, they have a permanent stethoscope up my privates already.

Probably because people opt-into signing up on Facebook and providing their personal information - people do not opt-in to the FBI's data collection.

Probably because people opt-into signing up on Facebook and providing their personal information - people do not opt-in to the FBI's data collection.
ding ding ding, we have a winner. This is why people are pissed! I should be able to get a fucking drivers license without my damn picture going into their database.

ding ding ding, we have a winner. This is why people are pissed! I should be able to get a fucking drivers license without my damn picture going into their database.

To my knowledge, Facebook is also not allowed to investigate and arrest you, unlike the FBI.

I'm surprised they haven't upgraded the cameras for driver licenses/IDs/passports to better support facial recognition. I think a depth sensor is involved to help with this. Anyone know if this is not already happening?

I'm surprised they haven't upgraded the cameras for driver licenses/IDs/passports to better support facial recognition. I think a depth sensor is involved to help with this. Anyone know if this is not already happening?
Having a 3rd dimension to the image definitely helps with identification. More information is always better and the face is a 3D object, so that makes sense. However, there are ways to do it with 2D photos and the systems are getting pretty good so I'm not sure the 'depth sensor' is entirely necessary. Sure, for a more robust system you'd want it but it's certainly not necessary.

411 million? I believe that's more people that are living in the U.S. right now.

Yes, you are correct. You FBI doesn't only concern itself with Americans.

I suppose one thing of note, that chart doesn't show 411 million, it tops out at 175 Million. That means there are over 200 million records coming from somewhere else if the 411 million report is correct.

Excuse me, but why would you expect that the FBI would NOT collect drivers license pictures? What do you think a driver's license is?

I feel confident in the FBI's inability to do their job correctly. They should just go back to chasing Moonmen & Crazy Ivan.

Need a license plate number tattooed on forehead for easy tracking. Like a bar code. Would make tracking criminals and n'er do wells so much easier. Jeez.

Back