FBI Blasts Apple And Google For Offering Encryption

"The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened — even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order — to me does not make any sense."

What a hyperbolic statement.

Government goon to Apple:
"Ok, Apple, we lost the public's trust. Tell them all their stuff is safe now with encryption, but of course, leave us a back door, then we will pretend to be upset and the public will be like hell yeah apple, stick it to them! Bingo, trust restored"

Government goon to the public: " We are really upset that we can't get in now. (sheds fake tear for dramatic effect). Apple really stuck it to us!"

Considering the extent at which the NSA spies on people, the strong arm tactics they've used against the big phone/search/software companies, and the lies they've told about all of it, who can believe anything said by the goons or by company face men?

yes but its interesting that there is now a public demand for privacy again

A lot of this is cyclical. What I'm waiting for is the public to rise up against modern capitalism and it's political influence. It's troubling how the blueprint for the wealthy hasn't changed in over a century and they manage to hold status quo.

This is just a smoke screen. Lets not forget that the NSA just taps the streams anyway.

"The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened — even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order — to me does not make any sense."

What a hyperbolic statement.

Whats the point of a closet that can never be opened? If you put that kidnapped child in there whats the point of kidnapping the kid anyway? The fact that this idiot thinks the closet can't be opened is just amazing. Does he think that these people are buying phones and then locking them forever? I guess the FBI doesn't use any form of encryption.

A lot of this is cyclical. What I'm waiting for is the public to rise up against modern capitalism and it's political influence. It's troubling how the blueprint for the wealthy hasn't changed in over a century and they manage to hold status quo.

I'd say you'll have to wait at least 20 years for the people to rise up, probably much longer.
The current 'Meh' generation doesn't care about this and if they did they'd only go as far as making up some bad memes. Things will have to get much worse before people rise up and those in power know it.

I'd say you'll have to wait at least 20 years for the people to rise up, probably much longer.
The current 'Meh' generation doesn't care about this and if they did they'd only go as far as making up some bad memes. Things will have to get much worse before people rise up and those in power know it.

Plus there are way more things now to distract people than in the past. That and the threat from those in charge is much greater now.

I read this as:
Originally Posted by FBI Director James Comey
Gosh darn it! Parallel reconstruction of all the illegally obtained evidence we get from the NSA is going to be a lot harder now that it is all encrypted and we can't explain how we decrypted it in court...
That's the way I read it.

And your alternative to capitalism is???

And your alternative to capitalism is???

Shall not be named. Because if its named, it will pick up negative baggage like they baggage people want to attach to capitalism.

21st Century Propaganda.
1) Remain nameless or uncategorized publicly as long as possible
2) pretend what you're proposing is normal, mainstream, or a return to the good old days.
3) roll your eyes at people who attempt to name you.

My new rule of thumb: If the NSA/FBI/Border Patrol/DEA/etc. doesn't like it, then I do.

Seriously, I encrypt all of my traffic to a foreign VPN. Even then I expect I'm being spied on, just by a foreign government. Not that I'm doing anything wrong, but I'd rather have a foreign government outside of my legal jurisdiction have my information than a governing body in my legal jurisdiction. I'd rather have Abu Al-Akbar know about me than John Smith, that's the truth as it's a humiliating disgrace what this country has become - a bunch of coward "government--please-save-me" pansies. Seriously, hundreds of thousands of Americans have died protecting and fighting for your rights, and you all just throw your hands up in the air and forfeit them because 20 assholes fly a plane into a building and kill 3000 people? Fucking pathetic.

Stop spying on your own citizens, stop accepting bribery (lobbying), honor your citizens rights. In short our government needs to act like an American instead of a corrupt and paranoid mercenary .

My new rule of thumb: If the NSA/FBI/Border Patrol/DEA/etc. doesn't like it, then I do.

Agreed. Hope to see more of it too.

Seriously, I encrypt all of my traffic to a foreign VPN.

I've never used one but should, can you recommend one?

Stop spying on your own citizens, stop accepting bribery (lobbying), honor your citizens rights. In short our government needs to act like an American instead of a corrupt and paranoid mercenary .

They'd slaughter us first in the name of "National Security", unfortunately.

The alternative to "Corporatism" or "Crony capitalism" is free market capitalism and democracy.

And this is really what I was talking about. The way it works now is not true free market capitalism.

The alternative to "Corporatism" or "Crony capitalism" is free market capitalism and democracy.

you're mostly right. Democracy and free market capitalism cannot exist together.

True free market capitalism cannot co exist with government of any kind, since the two will always combine into fascism (as we've observed) or some variant there-of.

The solution is to get rid of the men with guns that demand our property. With truly free markets, you don't need government, since any service government currently provides can be more efficiently provided by the market.

The solution is to get rid of the men with guns that demand our property. With truly free markets, you don't need government, since any service government currently provides can be more efficiently provided by the market.

I don't understand this logic because corporations currently use the government via lobbying to get there way now. Without the government, who is to even slow down the corporations getting their way?

People buy stuff right now made by damn near slaves in other countries. Consumers don't really care. It'd only get worse under the rule of corporations.

I don't understand this logic because corporations currently use the government via lobbying to get there way now. Without the government, who is to even slow down the corporations getting their way?

People buy stuff right now made by damn near slaves in other countries. Consumers don't really care. It'd only get worse under the rule of corporations.

You don't understand the logic because you're confusing the current legal structure of corporations, with the concept of a business.

Corporations (at least as we know them) wouldn't exist in a free market. How do I know this? Because it takes the laws and threat of force from the government to prop them up. They are a legal fiction set in place by government - even to the point of being granted person-hood.... by the government.

I think pretty much everybody realizes corporations, as they exist now, are one way money funnels from the poor to the rich. They stifle competition and buffer their owners from any consequences of the actions of the business.

And your point about the consumers may be valid... but who is it that educates the consumers in the most formative years of their lives? Certainly not the free market.

he speaks the truth, corporations are chartered by the nation state

the first corporate entities were chartered by monarchs

no state...no corporation

You don't understand the logic because you're confusing the current legal structure of corporations, with the concept of a business.

Corporations (at least as we know them) wouldn't exist in a free market. How do I know this? Because it takes the laws and threat of force from the government to prop them up. They are a legal fiction set in place by government - even to the point of being granted person-hood.... by the government.
So what you're saying is that until things change I should start a corporation. :D
I'm kidding. I'm sure I wouldn't get far as most of the corners have been set.

I think pretty much everybody realizes corporations, as they exist now, are one way money funnels from the poor to the rich. They stifle competition and buffer their owners from any consequences of the actions of the business.
Definitely can't argue with that. I've heard it said more than a few times in my life that with all the laws put into place over the last 20 years the ability to actually start and succeed with a company with big business at your throat has greatly diminished.

They block out (for the most part) the poor peoples ability to ever become wealthy with red tape.

you're mostly right. Democracy and free market capitalism cannot exist together.

True free market capitalism cannot co exist with government of any kind, since the two will always combine into fascism (as we've observed) or some variant there-of.

I think they can exist fine, but for starters money cannot equal speech.

I think our definitions of free market are different: To me free market is one that's well regulated for the benefit of the market - not to be confused with benefit of corporation(s) in it. Companies are meant to be nimble and fierce in a pool of many competitors, not fat monopolies with no incentive to improve and money to throw at politicians.

You cannot have a true free market nor a democracy under a corrupt system where laws are made with money, rampant corruption is the downfall of both, and our culture of legalized bribery is where the problem lies imho.

My personal favorite is $40B/yr tax breaks to oil companies, when they're already making record profits and we just spent $3 trillion securing long-term oil contracts for them in Iraq.

I think they can exist fine, but for starters money cannot equal speech.

I think our definitions of free market are different: To me free market is one that's well regulated for the benefit of the market - not to be confused with benefit of corporation(s) in it. Companies are meant to be nimble and fierce in a pool of many competitors, not fat monopolies with no incentive to improve and money to throw at politicians.

You cannot have a true free market nor a democracy under a corrupt system where laws are made with money, rampant corruption is the downfall of both, and our culture of legalized bribery is where the problem lies imho.

A true free market is hardly the holy grail. Following that path brings the entire world's economy down to the lowest common denominator. In short, American standards of living would take a serious nosedive. Oh wait, that's already happening.

A true free market is hardly the holy grail. Following that path brings the entire world's economy down to the lowest common denominator. In short, American standards of living would take a serious nosedive. Oh wait, that's already happening.

Yet the richest in this country are the richest they've ever been. It's the people they step on that suffer.

Or banks getting interest free loans in the past (Too big to fail), or the top ten (50?) US corporations having negative tax rates, and a whole bunch of other BS.

The game is rigged...

Sigh why is it only comedians have the balls to say what's right? They often go on these tirades into the truth but they're a comedian so even while everyone knows ita the truth irs just one big joke

LOL... LEO's complaining about this making their job harder makes me lol. Do your job guys, you know, real police work to instead of trying to cheese it.

LOL... LEO's complaining about this making their job harder makes me lol. Do your job guys, you know, real police work to instead of trying to cheese it.
they always want the easy way out, i really like the idea of them needing a warrant to access certain info though, not that i have anything to hide but its my privacy

This is just theater to make the proles less paranoid. Apple, Microsoft, and Google have all given the Federal government back doors into all of their products.

Indeed.

Typical 1984 propaganda. We have always been at war with al-qaeda!!

Back