FBI Arrests Man For Leak G-n-R Songs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The FBI arrested a blogger for streaming nine songs from Guns N' Roses unreleased album.

FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on Wednesday morning on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws. Federal authorities say Cogill posted nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs on his Web site in June.

And more to the point, who the heck is still interested in Guns 'n' Roses!???

The FBI spent their resources dealing with THIS?

And how did it take this long to leak songs from an album that I've been hearing about for about 5 years. Should GnR really be that surprised?

I swear, we'll see actual democracy in China before we see Chinese Democracy.

Next week we are going to see FBI agents writing tickets for people speeding, littering across state lines and not recycling properly.

God bless amerca for having the balls to spend all this money tracking down someone who released MP3s of Guns and Roses "new" songs.

No, the real question is, why haven't Guns n Roses been arrested for daring to make more tracks in the first place?

Well it does sound like this guy is a terrorist. Glad the FBI is keeping America safe.

Oh, I heard about this. Apparently, he lives close enough to one of their homes that he could hear them playing one of their songs. He recorded them with a sensitive microphone or something.

Guns and WHO???.

They should not be arresting this guy, the band should be PAYING HIM TO do it, when the album comes out there will hardly be a blip on the sales chart.

It has been so long that they will need a MASSIVE PR push to let people know that they are still alive and have a new album

I used to be a huge GnR fan in the late 80's/early 90's, but i would never buy anything Axl Rose related, ever again. He destroyed one great band. But guy (who leaked the songs) deserves to be punished, but i don't believe that band suffered "significant losses", like one article said. I guess that sales will be embarrassing, GnR is just not relevant anymore...

I don't know why everyone is blaming the FBI. I'm fairly certain that Axl pushed for this....this is the same guy that attacked his fans for daring to take his picture at a concert.

The guy committed a crime and if Axl was acting like Axl, then they had no choice but to pursue the guy.

I don't know why everyone is blaming the FBI. I'm fairly certain that Axl pushed for this....this is the same guy that attacked his fans for daring to take his picture at a concert.

The guy committed a crime and if Axl was acting like Axl, then they had no choice but to pursue the guy.

The point being made is that it's beyond ridiculous and a waste of resources (ie tax payer money) for the FBI to be tracking down some guy streaming songs over the internet. They surely have more important things to do.

Like going through all those phone records from AT&T...

good ol' Asshole Rose

And more to the point, who the heck is still interested in Guns 'n' Roses!???

Agreed.

I saw them in concert and have never bought anything the have put out since. Axle is a wuss, cry baby, and put on a terrible performance. For the five or so minutes he was actually on stage. Slash and the guys just kept playing like the dope was still on stage and singing. Thankfully they were last group on stage that night in Dallas, so I just left. Faith no More and Metallica put on a great show that night so I did not feel totally ripped off.

Back on topic, the guys an idiot for doing that. He had to know he would be caught and that somebody would call him to the mat for it.

Oh, I heard about this. Apparently, he lives close enough to one of their homes that he could hear them playing one of their songs. He recorded them with a sensitive microphone or something.

In that case, as long as the microphone never left his property it shouldn't be his fault. he was just recording what his house sounded like and happened to pick up some new song....

But thats not how the judge will see it.

I'm listening to "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" while reading this. :p

IF true and it was a mike recording then I "think" he would be ok since he is not charging for it.

On the OTHER HAND, the UK has had a pole up their arse lately fining people who have the radio on while they work for BROADCASTING, if someone else can here it (car mechanic, door open,customer waiting=FINE)

If only they put this much time and money into tracking down and prosecuting the distrubuter of all these blasted vLob infections.

I guess the real criminals don't pay off the government often enough...

Finally some one is getting it. I'm sure that the FBI didn't do it on their own. A law was broken and report so they had to investigate. A law is a law if broken needs to be looked into.

I've heard the new tracks and they might as well just be called "Axl Rose + random studio musicians."
There's pretty much no resemblance to G 'n R except the title song.
They're probably pursuing this guy because once most people hear these tracks they're not going to want the final version of the record.

Guns and WHO???.

They should not be arresting this guy, the band should be PAYING HIM TO do it, when the album comes out there will hardly be a blip on the sales chart.

It has been so long that they will need a MASSIVE PR push to let people know that they are still alive and have a new album

I think you will find this album goes through the roof.

I'm not a Guns and Roses fanboy and don't have any of their CD's but Chinese Democracy has been in the works for what? 10 years? Possibly more and it's going to sell...a lot.

lols, thats too funny. So a crappy audio track to get arrested?

I think everyone is missing the big picture. This seems to indicate that Chinese Democracy is not a myth. Shocking.

As for Guns N Roses, Axl should just give it up. The last time I heard him sing, he sounded like his voicebox was about to launch out his mouth.

And as for the Feds arresting this guy, he was stupid enough to post them up on his blog / website. I bet he's going to get loved not so tenderly from the RIAA now.

I used to be a huge GnR fan in the late 80's/early 90's, but i would never buy anything Axl Rose related, ever again. He destroyed one great band. But guy (who leaked the songs) deserves to be punished, but i don't believe that band suffered "significant losses", like one article said. I guess that sales will be embarrassing, GnR is just not relevant anymore...

If you actually saw the new band your mind would change. This is like saying Vista sucks without even using it

No, that was U2...Bono was playing it so loud from his house somewhere in France that some passing U2 fan recognized that it was unreleased (and therefore probably new) material, and just happened to have fairly decent recording equipment on hand.

In other words, U2's record label is really, really shitty at doing viral marketing.

ah, that was it.. lol. I knew someone did it with unreleased songs.

Back