FB-DIMM compatibility

gmutale

Limp Gawd
I have a server with 4x 4GB Hynix FB-DIMM DDR2-667 ECC+REG. On it is written: HYMP525F72CP4N3-Y5 AC-T

Would it be ok / will the server work if I add an extra 4x 2GB Hynix FB-DIMM DDR2-667 ECC+REG, on it is written: HYMP525F72BP4N2-Y5 AC-A

?

TIA! :)

i have seen quite a few dual 771 systems with mixed sizes/brands of ram, you *should* be good to go.

*should is my out, didn't say it WILL work ;)

If you can provide the model server or what model board is, that would be more helpful.

I've seen a few systems that will allow mixed rank and mixed size as long as they are not on the same channel. If you have 4x4 already, that's one quad channel, chances are slots 5-8 of the second channel will be fine when populated with 4x2GB.

mobo is SuperMicro X7DB3

I've just come back from purchasing the RAM.. tho the rig in question is in storage, so who knows when I'll get to install & test :rolleyes: :(

Providing it works when you pull it out of storage, it should be fine as long as you install it in pairs in the second quad channel.

Is there a real noticable difference between FB DIMMs and SD DIMMs when it comes to performance (assume all capacity needs are met).

Is there a real noticable difference between FB DIMMs and SD DIMMs when it comes to performance (assume all capacity needs are met).

I don't remember sorry. But I do recall this: FBDIMMS are poor performers at low loads; they are described as being like a locomotive pulling away from the station: once they gather steam - watch out! :D LOTS of bandwidth then! :)

Back