Fax Without Telephone Line with FiOS?

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
I've got Verizon Triple Play. Basically, my Internet, TV and Phone all come into my house on a Fiber Optic line. Well, I take that back, I don't quite understand what the FiOS Phone really is or how the signaling works.

I have this All-in-One machine, the HP OfficeJet 7310 (link to product information). I hooked it up to my network (printer to router via Ethernet port) the other day and it works great with printing from all of my clients, well the printing does. I haven't tried the scanning portion, yet but I would assume it works just fine. What I didn't hook up, is a phone line to it. I wanted to know if there's a way to fax through my network, thus eliminating the need for a telephone connection. I figured there COULD be a way, if my Phone at some point came through the Fiber Optic. Again, I'm not quite sure about this. Is network faxing possible? If so, how? Is it just not supported with my All-in-One machine?

Most likely not, the closest you would be able to come to doing that is to scan it to your machine, and then email it to the individual on the other end. If you want to fax, the fax machine needs to have a connection the the telephone network (telephone line.)

Your phone lines are most likely terminated at the fios box on the side of your house, where the signal is converted from a normal analog pair to voip, and then to the magic of the telephone system.

I'm not 100% sure if this is true in your case, I know it is how it is taken care of with cox's digital telephone.

Most likely not, the closest you would be able to come to doing that is to scan it to your machine, and then email it to the individual on the other end. If you want to fax, the fax machine needs to have a connection the the telephone network (telephone line.)

I read something about scanning it to your computer and sending it via Microsoft Fax or something like that. This sounds similar to what you're describing. Not what I'm looking for.

Your phone lines are most likely terminated at the fios box on the side of your house, where the signal is converted from a normal analog pair to voip, and then to the magic of the telephone system.
You're PROBABLY right on this, but I'm not sure exactly.

It's possible ITU T.38 is a standard for Faxing over TCP/UDP. You can ready about it here.

Not sure sure how Verizon handles the phone on their FIOS system but I'm sure it's similar to the way we handle it on our FTTH network. A voice switch communicates with the ONT using something like SIP or MGCP while the ONT provides the dialtone and ring generation.

Back