Favorite Media Browser theme?

I upgraded from a black skinned Pearl to Neo. Very cool, especially the 'channels' option.

I am generally disappointed with Media Browser though after a couple of years use. No matter what hardware upgrades or software tweaks I throw at it I can't get it to handle 5k+ entries of movies/tv smoothly, and I have ongoing problems with driver compatibility, multi audio/subtitle streams etc. so will probably switch to XBMC or something else. I'll lose some functionality (game browser for eg.) but gain performance and stability.

I'm using Pearl also. Haven't really done much with it in 4-5 months since reinstalling Windows, I definitely need to get back with it and fix my thumbnails and stuff.

I'd like to go to XBMC, but I need the liveTV part of WMC, so I'm stuck with MB for now.

I'm using Pearl also. Haven't really done much with it in 4-5 months since reinstalling Windows, I definitely need to get back with it and fix my thumbnails and stuff.

I'd like to go to XBMC, but I need the liveTV part of WMC, so I'm stuck with MB for now.

Both XBMC and MediaPortal offer PVR capability. MediaPortals are far more mature although XBMC supports a good number of tuner software plugins. Both are modular so you can even have your tv tuners running on a separate pc and have the PVR software running as a server only and then have your media centre PVR plugin run as a client over the network. Works well here.

I personally use MediaPortal with 4TheRecord as the PVR software and the StreamedMP skin which is a great copy of confluence from XBMC but more customisable. As a hint as to how advanced 4TheRecord is, try visiting http://retro.homeserver.com:42080

Sorry for the rant, but moving away from Media Browser was the best thing I did for the sanity of my wife and myself.

As either use plugins that access external PVR software, that will depend on the PVR package you use. All I can comment on is that I believe it's already in development for 4TheRecord. However any unencrypted cable signal should work without issue. There could be other packages it works with, and with MS basically killing off its Media Center, I do expect these 3rd parties to really step up their game to fill that void.

CableCard is the main reason I'm still with Media Browser. I've seen that XBMC is working on it, but my understanding was that it was for OTA channels only. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

Back