Favorite Handbrake settings for Bluray & DVD?

1911Shootist

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm relatively new to ripping, and so far have my collection ripped to my hard drive using the 'Normal' preset for Blurays, which usually turn out to ~3-4GB. They look great, and I'm fine with that size for high def, but my old DVD rips are just as large (copied using MagicDVDripper - just removes DRM & copies main movie to a chosen directory).

I'm now wanting to shrink the DVD rips in size, but need some help on what settings to apply in Handbrake... Normal preset results in poor quality during panning/action scenes & poor color gradients (splotchy walls and such).

I'm not a picky viewer, but I want them to look nice and take up less/minimal space. Audio is just stereo, and I don't care about subtitles or other audio tracks.

Any help is appreciated!

I use constant quality RF=18 and I like the results with action scenes, I have never had a problem. However any compression you apply you will loose fine detail. This is talking about pausing and meticulously going over enlarged scenes.

However, HD space is cheap, I prefer to just put the 4gb movie in a mkv wrapper uncompressed.

4GB for Bluray is fine by me, but not for DVD quality... I've seen 800MB 720 videos that look fine by me, someday I'll figure out how to do that...

That is fine - I can do it via Teamviewer while at work or overnight, but only if it's a 'start it and walk away' type procedure.

Back