Favorite GPU you have owned?

Fantasysage

Limp Gawd
What has been your favorite GPU you have ever owned?

For me it has to be the 6800 ultra extreme that I got for 20 bucks from some idiot in early 2005.

evga6800ue.jpg

Remember when that was sexy?

(and also when that was a large heatsink :D:D)

EDIT: BTW, this is still running strong in the same box it was installed in. Linux makes it fast again :)

Last edited:
oh man!. I remember the 6800.

I had a PNY 6800 that unlocked into an ultra it was awesom! I also remember my 9800 pro it was my first real gaming card.

Not counting my current card, the 8800GT has been my favorite card. It held up like a beast until BFBC2 hit, then it had to be retired.

The Creative Geforce TI4200 without a doubt, though the Powercolor 5870 PCS+ is a good second with it being powerful and silent!

sapphire 9800 pro, flashed to xt :D

edit: i bought a vantec hsf made for some nvidia card, dremeled the fins and mounted it to the card, worked like a dream

Last edited:
In 2002 i had a Chaintech Ti4200. I took a stock AMD heatsink+fan and put it on the gpu core, i cut up another AMD heatsink into ramsinks which i glued to the ram on both sides. Overclocked like a god damn champion it did. My second favorite card was my Prolink 5900 Vanilla that i flashed with a 5950 ultra bios. I put a Thermaltake Giant III on it and overclocked it as high as the drivers would let it go. It proved to be a good ally until the PCI-E became standard.

Jeez, that's a hard call. Going back, I'd have to say Voodoo 2 SLI.

Moving forward, my Gainward Ti200 that OC'd like crazy was nice. It was also acceptable to slap on a crazy loud cooler because who could hear em over the delta cooling the processor.

And the 9700 was a huge fav. Great AA performance and longevity akin to the 8800 GTX.

What has been your favorite GPU you have ever owned?

For me it has to be the 6800 ultra extreme that I got for 20 bucks from some idiot in early 2005.

evga6800ue.jpg

Remember when that was sexy?

(and also when that was a large heatsink :D:D)

ok gotta ask howd you get one of those for 20$ they were pretty rare

oh ya and def the ti4600

Last edited:
It's a toss up between my 9800 pro and my 6800gt. All most cried when the 6800 burnt up.:(

ok gotta ask howd you get one of those for 20$ they were pretty rare

oh ya and def the ti4600

I was complaining about my 9200 pro in class, and this kid was like "hey, I am parting out my PC, want my card?" So I was said sure and he said 20 bucks. The next week he handed me that and I nearly shat myself. Kid was one of those people who's parents bought them everything and was a spoiled twunt, so I took it without battling an eyelash. If he was a nice kid I would have told him he was selling me a $350 card for 95% off.

I think that is half why it was my favorite card. That and it was pretty damned rare. I think you needed to win a lotto to even be able to buy one iirc?

canopus tnt2 non reference card, only used a tnt2 chip. then a pny 4200 that i had heatsinks and stuff taped to, volt modded, etc. oh yea, obsidian sli card (2 voodoo2 cards on 1). and i really liked my evga 9800gx2 quad sli rig a few years back. would have killed if it had more on board ram. and right now i am fooling around with tri fire 5770 cards (xfx egg shaped cooler ), which perfroms really well for only costing me a little over $400,close to my 5850 cf which cost almsot $650.

By far my 9600xt. I lusted after that card and still remember the day I walked into pcclub and bought it. It was just as good as the reviews said it was.

My Matrox G400 MAX.

It was the card that introduced the world to fast 32-bit color rendering, and it was unbeaten at this task until the release of the GeForce 256. It introduced the world to the concept of consumer-level dual-monitor outputs. It also had 2D quality that put Nvidia to shame (back when most cards had shoddy analog image quality).

It lasted me a good three years before I was forced to upgrade.

I really liked the 4890s I bought last year for about $160 a pop. They were damn near the fastest single gpu cards too. Only things I hated about them were the leafblower fans and the crazy heat they put out. Performance for the price in crossfire was sublime though. Was a HUGE jump up from my stuttering pos 9800gx2.

Voodoo 5 5500, I think I still have it around somewhere. Star Wars Racer was sweet on that thing :D

edit: Bwhaha, it's still in my sig :p Right now I'm rockin' a pair of 8800 GTS 512's in SLI. Not amazing, but very capable.

Last edited:
My Radeon 9700 pro was the biggest single leap in video card performance over a previous card that I have ever experienced. It is still running in a friend's old computer today.

GeForce 6800 (vanilla)
Manage to unlock the extra pipeline from 12 to 16 pixel shaders :D
Too bad the locked vertex unit causes corruption.

But still, with the extra pixel shaders, i got more than what I paid for:D

The greatest 2D/3D in one solution upgrade was for me the 9700 pro , it was like going from a 4830 to a dual GTX 480 setup.. it truly was world changing for me and many others during that time. It was the first time I remember ATI really bitch slapping the crap out of Nvidia and staying in the lead for awhile to come.

But the greatest upgrade I ever made was my first 3D accelerator .. the voodoo 2 PCI. The first game I used it on was Unreal .. it was the first time I really understood how far ahead the PC was in many ways over the console. I remember having my friends over and telling them about it and hearing alot of "Yea ..right.." however once I sat them in front of my computer and started up Unreal they were so completely blown away , it was fun to watch.

Getting back to the 9700 pro it was a very expensive card at the time at 399 , I barely convinced my wife to let me buy it. However the most I ever spent on a card was 550 bucks (8800 Ultra) and now I try my best to keep it under 400 (although I just completely ignored this when I recently bought 2 GTX 480's).

I sure miss the old days when accelerators were so new and different , those first games to take advantage of them really have a special place in my memory.

Id have to say my 8800GTX.

Blew my mind coming from an ATI x1600 pro.

I'd love to say my 9800 pro.
But I ran into a snag when I got it.
I had an abit kr7a, that unknown at the time had issues with the newer agp 8x
I had picked it up on the way to a lan and decided to install it when I got there.
No boot.
After many hours I found a post online with someone else having the same problem.
In order to boot it I had to unplug the external power from the card, hit the power button on the case, wait for the post and hurry up and plug it back in as fast as I could.
If I wasn't fast enough I got the no power message and I had to reboot

I know it wasn't the cards fault, and it was awesome once I figured that out.
But in my memory it seems tarnished just the same.

My 6800 Ultra was high on my list of favs. Wicked nice card in it's day, and cost me a mint too! ;)

So are the 8800 GTX's I still have here.

7900GS was my first "powerful" GPU. It has a soft spot in my heart for that reason. I was finally able to max out Half Life 2 and other Source games.

Second would be an ATI HD4870. It was pretty awesome price/performance.

Mine would be the 4870, but my card sucks... Doesn't overclock well at all, which is a shame.

For me, it was easily the 9500 non-pro that soft-modded into a 9700. Fantastic performance for the money.

Has to be my GTX260 and my 7300GT. It was a huuuuuge step up from my 7300GT, and before that, the 7300GT was a huge step up from a Radeon 7500 PCI and IGP.

Current one in my rig. EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP Edition. SLI on a single card ! :D

Geforce ti4200 - DirectX 8 card that blew every FX series Directx9 card out of the water, except for the 5950.

ATI 9800XT - found a 1 day auction on Ebay for it at about 65% discount from any other retailer.

STI Blackmagic Voodoo 2 12MB PCI

I remember starting up Quake 2, and Mechwarrior 2 Titanium, and nearly shitting myself. Totally changed my view of PC vs Console.

My Viper John X850XT-PE was my favorite.
The card looked and performed very well for what it was

Has to be the 9800pro, but the Rendition Verite gave me my first 3d experience and it ran awesome.

Back