Favorite game mis-translations

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
This was sort of inspired by the Oblivion voice acting fubar thread up above.

When translating a game from one market to another it's fairly common (especially with huge games with tons of dialogue) for their to be some unintentionally funny mistranslations, or just completely bizarre headbangers. What are your favorites?

And please, for the love of god, don't say Zero Wing... I think we've all well and truly heard enough of that by this point...

Think Final Fantasy Tactics has some of my favorite translation errors, just screams Engrish on many occasions.

Gust (Ghost), Rich (Lich), Trent (Treant), Ulmaguest (Almagest), Mogri (Moogle) and Ramia Harp (Lamia Harp).

Guess thats what happens when you go cheap on translation, you get fansub quality...

LuminaryJanitor said:
And please, for the love of god, don't say Zero Wing... I think we've all well and truly heard enough of that by this point...
"All your base are belong to us" :p

Suikoden II is probably the worst I've seen. You had everything from name mispelling to inadvertent homosexual dialogue.

World of Warcraft... in the human starting zone, the little vermin rats that say,

"You no take candle"

LOL

theNoid said:
World of Warcraft... in the human starting zone, the little vermin rats that say,

"You no take candle"

LOL

Sad thing is, thats intentional... Blizzard is an American Developer.

I've been digging around online trying to find some Bangai-O quotes to give you an idea of how inane this game is. Here's a sample from a review at Honest Gamer:

Whenever a boss or other character is confronted, a wacky conversation involving more Engrish than Zero Wing starts up. Here is an example from Level 23: It’s raining robots! Did you bring your umbrella?

Yomeiri Maske: Well!

Riki: I don't believe that! That You've come this time! Kashoku!

Yomeiri Maske: In youth it is wrong to yearn for heroism.

Riki: But, now number 2 has come up, you have no chance.

Yomeiri Maske: Don't talk such nonsense! The man is scum. He hardly ever works. He is stupid and is easy to beat.

Riki: Nevertheless he is fairly well known.

Yomeiri Maske: It is a bad gang! What has it planted in the pure heart of a young man! If that's the case, they will soon ask you properly. Special training against the Shaba Tengokugoo made by your father.

Riki: Special training? Really! Then I too will soon be able to cut up water.

There are no regards for punctuation or coherency. Only sheer, inane babble is permitted in the dialogue that gives Bangai-O its story.

Unfortunately it didn't carry over the capitalization. In the game, random words are capitalized, and punctuation is left off or added-in at random. Instead of actual words, one boss just talks in pictures. Once I get home I'll play a bit and copy some actual dialogue over.

old catridge games often have mistranslations, partly because there is a set amount of memory to store dialogs.

polive said:
Engrish is great!

inglish8bm1ay3ox.gif

Been playing a free Korean MMO called Space Cowboy that's so packed with Engrish, it's hilarious.

Diverging from the topic here, even with the horrid Engrish it's an awesome game. Check it out.

If you want to see engrish at its finest, play Silkroad Online :D . Even in the tutorial someone actually says woo~f***!.

I don't know what game this is from, or even if it's a photoshop, but it's still awesome:

awinnerisyou4ur.jpg

Nuzzles said:
I don't know what game this is from, or even if it's a photoshop, but it's still awesome:

awinnerisyou4ur.jpg

Thats not a photochop. That is from the orginial NES game "Pro Wrestling"

I can't remember the URL, but there's a site that lists a ton of these Engrish translations in games.

Some of my favorites:

"Ninjas have captured the president! Are you a bad enough dude to resuce the president?"
-Bad Dudes, NES

"Ouch! What do you do!"
-The Goonies, NES (after you hit some old dude in the face with a hammer)

theNoid said:

"You no take candle"

LOL
no, they are just stupid.

Back