Favorite crimpers?

uviuar2

Limp Gawd
Ok so i gotta start making my own cat6 cables soon, and was wondering if anybody had a favorite tool box of stuff they use for this.

Crimpers - brand name and type
RJ45 connectors - does it matter?
Wire stripping

etc etc. I know crimping can be a hassle, so if anybody has used like a perfect device that practically did it all for you or something, please share :)

I've used a few different types of crimpers, but the ones that I had the best experience with were the ones that had the "clicky" type of sound as you crimp down, that is, its a one way action that prevents you from releasing the handle too soon to prevent half crimps. I don't know what this feature is called, but it makes the ratchet sound of a ratchet wrench... hmm... I might sound vague in this description, perhaps someone can follow up on this.

Get a racheting Telemaster, you won't regret it. Don't have it right this minute, and can't recall the model number off hand.

get an ideal crimpmaster, its MUCH better than the telmaster. Also, cat6 patch cables you make yourself arent cat6 compliant.

oh, forgot to mention line testers. Anyone have one they like over the other? or will any do..

btw, care to elaborate on what you mean by cat6 compliance? I am indeed just making cables for myself (my boss actually), since we have some spools of left over cat6 from our office move. I dont really care if the cables dont meet some sort of official guideline, as long as they work heh.

Btw, is this the crimpmaster to which you were referring?

http://www.telephonesystems.info/Ca...sid=LV1K9LN8WBPA8PCF8NJHH8P50LHS73MD&PID=1201

I suppose if your going to make a lot of cables then it makes sense to buy a really good crimper. I've been using a cheapo $16 one that I got from Fry's and I have yet to make a bad cable due to a bad crimp job. So far, I've made about 200 connectors and the tool is a little more than a year old.

The only thing I've noticed with cheaper crimpers is that sometimes the teeth don't fully align in the gold connects as they press down. What will happen is obviously a bad crimp, but the end connecter gets jammed... a bit annoying after you untwist wires and arrange them in order in the end jack. Then you gotta redo it.

Back