Favorite Catalyst versions?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
The 3.8 or 3.9 drivers are the only ones that run Planetside decently for me, but on the other hand they also suck in ut2k4 in which the 4.4s work great... What versions does everyone use and is anyone else using a 9800/pro/xt with Planetside?

Whatever the latest version that is out, happens to be my fav. The only time I can remember having a major problem with any Cat's, was the CoD crash bug. Very annoying.

all of them worked great for me, except the one's with the 32 bit bug, and the cod crash bug. 4.5 has been good to me :)

3.7 was the best one for d3d, but 3.9 is the best for openGL. All drivers since 4.1 have sucked big time.

3.4's were the only ones i ever had a single problem with on any Radeon card. And that was just graphical glitches in morrowind?
All the rest up until the 4.5,s are great drivers ;)

Currently running the 4.4's and I quite enjoy them.. they solved some glitching I had when AF was enabled in Battlefield Vietnam and performance in newer games has never been better ( dont play too many old ones currently).

4.3s were the only ones that have been all around good for my 9000Pro, other then that I'd use the rev that was on my driver cd,w hich was like the 3rd driver ATi made for the 8500 I think...

I'm still running Omega's 3.7s , they still seem to be the best around for me.

well lately ive had to switch between 4.4 and 4.5 because thief3 has graphical errors with 4.5, but joint ops demo has graphical glitches with 4.4. so whenever i want to play a game, i install a damn driver and reboot. so in short i hate all catalyst versions

It's a toss up between the 3.7 and 3.8 drivers, as someone said before, the 3.7's rocked with D3D and the 3.8's rocked with OGL.... Would be nice to have a driver set out that rocked with both OGL and D3D and had no bugs with the games I play :mad:

For me the 3.7's are the most stable of the two "3.7/3.8's" I get less FPS with the 3.7's but over all AA works with all my games and I see no artifacts in any of the games i play when I have the 3.7's installed..

Its pretty bad when ATI puts out 8 new driver sets since the 3.7's and I'm still running the 3.7's :(

4.5's all the way. Since I can't run anything else. Nothing below that supports my card as I understand it.

I use 4.5-D3D / 3.10-OGL, i could use any other combo like 3.7/3.10 if anyone recommends it :D

OldMX

I don't really understand how people can have a 'favorite Catalyst version'...

For image quality, unless pawing over coloured mip maps it can be hard to even tell the difference between trilinear and anisotropic filtering in the middle of a fragfest. And for frame rates, the only way to generate a comparable scale is with benchmarks, which can chaotically consecutively fluctuate by hundreds even in controlled environments. After switching to the new 4.5s I thought I detected a drop in frame rates but it turned out to be a placebo effect.

It’s always seemed to me that if you’re getting some sembelence of improvement with an older driver set, something isn’t being processed correctly or some hack is being used to accelerate rendering, like the well known ‘brilinear’. Since each driver release fixes bugs, it stands to reason that you may as well install that one, then drop the settings in the control panel applet. You can even pretend you’re running your old (broken) driver set ;P

Some of the most irritating bugs I’ve found with Catalyst turned out to be video card specific. For example, in the older game “Wheel of Time” with my old 9600XT, if you enabled FSAA or AF the ter’angreal (weapons) icons would be corrupted and impossible to distinguish from each other. However, when I switched to the 9800SE (Pro hardmod) that problem went away, replaced with an unusual issue I’d guess is a Z-Buffer hierarchy fault that causes distant shadows to flicker at vertex boundaries. On the other hand, Far Cry ran completely bug-free on the 96XT, and I am now greeted with the odd missing polygon; granted that could be down to the hardmod, but it’s the only game that exhibits the characteristic.

In short, the newest.

4.6. OpenGL improvements over 4.5 and improvements in game performance also.

I like Omega's drivers allot. I'm running 4.6 ATM and I'm seeing all around improvement from these.

AACI_CIO said:
Just went from 3.7 to 4.5 Omegas. I liked the 3.7s better....
Abgel based those off the leaked 4.6 drivers. His next release should give him allot to work with. Right now I'm running 4.6 cats. Give them a shot in the meantime.

Back