Faulty Network Interface Controller (HELP)

|CMF|SoulAssassin

Limp Gawd
Greetings

Okay Guys this is breaking my head and I've ran out of solutions and maybe you guys could help me out, I have Acer Aspire R1600, that got infected so i reinstalled the Operating System, i installed windows XP Service pack 3 and went to the Acer Manufacture website and installed NIC card drivers, chipset driver, audio drivers etc, Device manager shows that the drivers are installed right with no question mark or explanation point, when i connect my Ethernet cord nothing happens it still shows a X on task bar..

I thought maybe it was Windows XP SP3 or i had a bad disk, but i also tried with windows7 32 Bit and it still doing the same thing Current Driver installed on Windows 7 is "73.1.4.0" , i've also installed the drivers Manually and nothing., Is it possible it might be Hardware related with a dead NIC Card??

Thanks in advice

Tried different cat5 cables? Tried connecting to a different port on the switch? Do the lights work at all? (Link/Traffic) If no lights come up, you have a Layer 1 (Physical) problem. If the lights do work and links establish but the OS doesn't recognize it, and no ARPs go through, it may be a Layer 2 problem

I did try different cat5 cables and i just connected to a working machine that had internet and nothing i have no lights or activity on the back of the Nic card nothing shows up, :(

Most likely something physically wrong with the NIC. Check to make sure the pins aren't bent or crossed inside the port itself. Other than that you may just have to replace it, or if you're good with a soldering iron, solder a new one on, or buy an add-on card (if you have that's available to your laptop model)

strange how drivers install, though. i'd try:
1) uninstall any drivers
2) disable in device mgr
3) reboot and disable in BIOS
4) reboot into windows and make sure it doesn't detect it in device manager
5) plug in cable, reboot (watch port and see if lights turn on), and enable in BIOS (if lights blinked at bootup)
6) reinstall drivers (if lights didnt blink, get a new NIC)

Back