Faulty memory controller?

Ok well I've had this problem over 2 weeks

My computer

Core i7 3770k
ASUS maximus V extreme
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
2x OCZ 240GB Agility 3's(non RAIDed)
PC power and cooling 1200w(Brand new btw)
GTX680 EVGA SLI(only one in use)

My issue is I'm getting random google chrome and World of tanks crashes to desktop.

Everything is set to Optimized Default in BIOs with the memory set to XMP. I recently did a whole system fresh install and still getting BSODs. Tried Prime95 but either my computer BSODs or restarts because every time I run it, when i go back to check on it few hours later my comps restarted or something.

After reading up a bit on the BSODs I've been getting which are memory related it seem my memory controller on my Core i7 3770K may be faulting, the RAM I have is brand new from amazon so i'm pretty sure on this.

More details. Is cpu stock? Did you try manually setting memory timings and voltages? I'd start with memtesting and bumping the memory volts .5 above stock and the VTT .5 above default. So something like 1.55V ram and 1.100 VTT. Could be so many things....nvidia drivers cause BSOD, AMD drivers cause BSOD......you got pm.

I would say its highly unlikely that the IMC is faulty. More likely you have bad ram however there could be many reasons for what you are experiencing.

the RAM I have is brand new from amazon so i'm pretty sure on this.

Being brand new doesn't guaranty that your ram is working 100% stable.

@ ShuttleLuv everything is set to AUTO in bios so whatever voltage ASUS board is giving, is what it is.
Memory is set to XMP 1600mhz CAS 8 1.5v

I also disabled all the C states in BIOs as per your recommendation

I don't have any other ram to test, would a MEMtest show bad ram? I've used the same ram in an AMD system previously without BSOD issues hence why i thought it may be the memory controller

Memtest will show bad memory yes. Set memory to manual, input them that way and raise volts a notch like i said

Last edited:
Just ran into more issues, got a BSOD of Memory_Management error, second time i've gotten this one since the reformat, also had CIV 5 crash to desktop.

running the latest ocz ssd firmware? 16gb 2 sticks or 4? 2 will be more stable even on ivy bridge. and a voltage/ripple check on the psu? to start

How do i update firmware on SSDs? 16GB (4x4GB) PSU is brand new, one of best you can buy and high marks.

I put my voltages for memory to 1.65v just for tests sake still had a crash.

At this point I'm just going to send the processor back to intel

How do i update firmware on SSDs? 16GB (4x4GB) PSU is brand new, one of best you can buy and high marks.

I put my voltages for memory to 1.65v just for tests sake still had a crash.

At this point I'm just going to send the processor back to intel

Did you even bother testing the RAM with Memtest? I am willing to bet you $10 it is not the IMC on the cpu..If the IMC was bad, the computer wouldn't function anywhere near normal..

Instead of wasting your time (and Intel's), test each stick of ram 1 at the time with Memtest..If each stick passes on it's on, then move to 2 sticks, then all 4..

While the ram might be new, and function fine in a different system, not all ram is compatible with EVERY motherboard out there..That is why MB companies have QVL to tell you which memory has been tested and certified to work in their boards.

Is it even possible to harm the memory controller on any Intel chip? The only processors that I've ever heard of with bad memory controllers were the original Clawhammer Athlon 64s from a decade ago.

Edit: Memory, on the other hand, dies all the time. I've seen entire batches of ram doa straight from the manufactuer.

Is it even possible to harm the memory controller on any Intel chip? The only processors that I've ever heard of with bad memory controllers were the original Clawhammer Athlon 64s from a decade ago.

Edit: Memory, on the other hand, dies all the time. I've seen entire batches of ram doa straight from the manufactuer.

Yeah if you run a ton of VTT through it definitely, but not likely.

Yeah if you run a ton of VTT through it definitely, but not likely.

I understand and I actually deal with this stuff for a living. How many Intel cpus with dead memory controllers have you seen first hand? I have seen zero out of the thousands that I have handled.

It's not common but if you shoot too much through overclocking it can happen. I personally have seen this one time in person, but other than that. no.

Btw op try switching SATA connections for the drives or testing one drive at a time.

Update, went out to frys and picked up some memory for cheap to test and so far didn't crash when playing world of tanks, ill run prime95 tonight and see how that goes.

Don't worry, faulty memory problem can be deal with an in-build tool in Windows known as WIndows Memory Diagnostic. It performs a series of checks to identify and repair RAM problems. Firstly check system errors and then restart your machine. If that doesn't work, use Windows Memroy Diagnostic as outlined below:

1. Click Start, type "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the Search Box.
2. Press ENTER.
3. Click "Restart now and check for problems" button.

Did that solved your problem? If not, try subsequent solutions given below:

1. Click Start, type "CMD".
2. Open it.
3. Type "SFC /SCANNOW" in the Search Box.
4. Press ENTER.

Back