Faulting application explorer.exe/wmplayer.exe

spotpuff

Gawd
OK this error is driving me nuts. It seemed to start when I installed WMP 10 on my Win XP upgrade from Win2K (Had been running stable for 1.5 years prior). When I right clicked on .wmv or .asf files, it would causes explorer to crash.

To try to fix, I reinstalled Win XP with SP 2 slipstreamed clean on the system and subsequently reinstalled all my programs. WMP 9 comes with Win XP SP2, and is STILL causing errors when I try to open an avi or wmv file in explorer. The even viewer lists the following error:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

I ran a memtest86 and it came back with no errors, and ran Burn In Test Pro 3 with CPU/MMX/2d/3d/sound tests simultaneously with no errors.

I use MPC for my media, but still this is irking me. Things open up fine in MPC and even streaming content from webpages (e.g. vids on tsn.ca) open fine, it's just opening files from explorer in WMP 9 that causes errors.

Does anyone have any idea how to help solve this? I can't believe a clean reinstall didn't even fix the problem; some people have said this is related to DEP but I have no clue.

As an added bonus, right click -> explore 'ing folders on the start menu doesn't work anymore either.
WTF?

ARGH!!!!

Oh yeah, I also tried disabling Data Execution Prevention (DEP) by setting the flag to "AlwaysOff" in the boot.ini, but that didn't help the WMP problem either, so I set it back to "OptIn".

:T This is aggravating.

Back